AMD 955, dual AMD 6850 water cooling setup

RADEON

I am considering water cooling my rig. I will be cooling an AMD 955 x4 and dual AMD 6850s.

I am unsure if I should go with two 120 rads or maybe a single dual 120, and also I am unsure if I'll need two pumps or maybe one big one?

Also, any thoughts on pumps and reservoirs? Are there any suggestions on tube ID size?

I know this system is not top of the line and a hard core water cooling system might be over kill but I just want a cool way to mod my comp,

and i think this will look cool.

I am currently using an NZXT phantom case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

Edited by RADEON

I am considering water cooling my rig. I will be cooling an AMD 955 x4 and dual AMD 6850s.

I am unsure if I should go with two 120 rads or maybe a single dual 120, and also I am unsure if I'll need two pumps or maybe one big one?

Also, any thoughts on pumps and reservoirs? Are there any suggestions on tube ID size?

I know this system is not top of the line and a hard core water cooling system might be over kill but I just want a cool way to mod my comp,

and i think this will look cool.

I am currently using an NZXT phantom case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

sorry , this might seem harsh ... why watercool such low end stuff. all the money you will spend on the water cooling .. upgrade parts. ... also do they even make waterblocks for 6850s ?

• Like 1

Why get 2 120 rads? The cost of that will be more then 1 240 rad.

That case is going to be tricky to fit your WC gear in. Also for a pump it depends on what blocks your going to get, plus what rads and res.

sorry , this might seem harsh ... why watercool such low end stuff. all the money you will spend on the water cooling .. upgrade parts. ... also do they even make waterblocks for 6850s ?

He's got a point.. I would probiby just go for the cpu if you want to try your hand at WC'ing. That and if you upgrade theres a good chance you could re-use the cpu block on the upgrade.. full coverage blocks for the GPU's on the other hand are expensive and generally specific to that card.. so chances of using it on newer card is probibly not going to happen....

For CPU only youj might go with something like this for a rad to fit your case, for a pump probibly something like this or maybe this with a different top or res top. I'd go with 1/2" ID 3/4 OD tubing. Some people prefer barb's (cheaper route) But I've always prefered compression fittings for a cleaner look.. Oh you will either want a res or a T line. for filling.

But as Neko suggested.. your money would be better spent on upgrading other components..

Opps almost forgot about the CPU block lol EK makes some good blocks or a Copper top one..

Apparently you did not read my post. I stated very clearly that I know that water cooling is over kill, but i just wanted a cool way to mod my comp. You should read the post before you reply to it.

6850s are pretty much the hottest 6000 series cards when run at a high overclock

without a doubt they can benefit from watercooling

I know most people 'think' water cooling high end stuff is better, but honestly water cooling is made to keep things cool and it makes no difference what price you paid for your hardware

a high end graphic card does not need water cooling to run any game on todays market (except idling in star craft II)

however, people like to push them to the max, regardless if 200fps is plain stupid, that is why they water cool them

of course, everyone should be a smart consumer and some tweaks have high costs with negligible results, but if you were a smart consumer you would not own 6970s in crossfire, anyway.

two radiators is not a good idea, though, as someone else said.

keep in mind that each graphic card block is probably 100$.

Edited by potatochobit