Reached 4.6GHz on 2500k, need help on 4.7

Brutality

With the following BIOS settings, I got it 20-pass LinX stable at 4.6Ghz =)

As some may remember, I couldn't get it above 4.4 due to high temps, but now that it's getting cold in Denmark, my ambient temps has dropped alot and I can overclock again :P (It is probably best to OC in the summer, since temps will rise again when I get to the summer, but since LinX is so extreme in temps, I doubt my temps will ever get that high in daily usage - If you disagree, I'll rollback to my 4.4GHz setup, and try again next summer. You guys know more about overclocking than I do :P)

BCLK: 100.0

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core

Ratio Limits: 46

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled

Memory Frequency: DDR3-2133MHz

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

DRAM Timing Control: According to X.M.P. Profile

Load-line Calibration: Ultra High

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350

Phase Control: Extreme

Duty Control: Extreme

CPU Current Capability: 100%

CPU Voltage: Manual

CPU Manual Voltage: 1.310

DRAM Voltage: 1.65000

VCCSA Voltage: 0.9375

VCCIO Voltage: 1.1375

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.55

PCH Voltage: 1.05000

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Here is the topic where Nuclear guided me through the bios settings, so you can see the reasoning behind the result of the BIOS settings;

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=185512

What I did to try to get it stable at 4.7GHz was to enable Internal PLL Overvoltage (set to auto), because if I didn't it wouldn't boot into Windows no matter what my vCore was set to (I don't know much about the secondary voltages, so I didn't dare to touch them)

So, with Overvoltage set, I kept bumping my vCore until I reached 1.35V (I don't want to go above Intel's specifications), but it wasn't stable still... also I reached a max temp of 70*C, so I don't have much heat left to go on (I don't want to go aboe 72.6*C (again Intel's specifications)

Any tips to reach 4.7GHz?

I guess I need to tweak the secondary voltages, but I have no clue about them.

EDIT: I remember reading someone anticipating some official information from Intel regarding the real max safe voltages and temps, but I can't find them anywhere... Are they not released yet or what?

Edited by Brutality

Try the link in my sig... you will have to go over Inte's recommended voltage, and it's safe if you do. Same with going over the 72.6C, though I still stay under 73C at all times.

Are there any sources explaining why it's safe going over the recommended voltage/temps?

It doesn't really matter though.. increasing the vCore won't help much, because I'll exceed 72*C if I do, and I don't want to

I guess I will have to get better cooling, although I have yet to see any commercial cooling solution exceed the NH-D14's cooling capabilities... and I don't feel comfortable building my own water cooling solution yet :/

Edited by Brutality

Hi brutality.

I find it strange that your temp are that high with such an excellent cooler. I have one, which costed me about 350kr. and it keeps my i5 200k at about 62 degrees when running Prime95. The ambient temp in my room is about 21-22 degrees.

My guess is that either you haven't mounted the cooler correctly, it's not working optimal or you need to turn down the temp in your room.

But for me to obtain a stable overclock of I had to bump up the vcore to 1.380. I haven't tried to go further than 4.7 as of yet (maybe when it gets colder). And the higher vcore have yet to cause any kind of trouble.

Ps. I'm not the best overclocker, but I know some plus I speak Danish, so feel free to PM me :)

If your already at your temp max you may not be able to go any higher without improving cooling.I have ran into issues with the XMP profile causing issues with OC'ing you may try dropping to manual and setting your ram settings manually. (though I would suggest saving your current settings). Though chances are you just need to give the core more voltage... not every chip is the same, some overclock better then others.

The i5-2500k and i7-2600k's TcaseMax = 72.6C. It's difficult to monitor that temperature, thus if you assume that your max temp for any core doesn't go above that, you're relatively safe in not reaching max Tcase temperature.

However, the TjunctionMax is 98C (max temp for your cores). Which means you could be safe at 85C for your max core temp, but you'll still never quite know if you're past your max Tcase temp.

Max voltages I've seen Intel's documentation stating around 1.55V's or something, I'm not 100%. I don't have time to look for the document right now.

I've kept voltages up to around 1.45V's on my i7 2600k's since release for 24/7 overclocks, and they've been stable with no degradation, but I've also kept my max core temps below 73C as a safekeeping measure.

Hi brutality.

I find it strange that your temp are that high with such an excellent cooler. I have one, which costed me about 350kr. and it keeps my i5 200k at about 62 degrees when running Prime95. The ambient temp in my room is about 21-22 degrees.

My guess is that either you haven't mounted the cooler correctly, it's not working optimal or you need to turn down the temp in your room.

But for me to obtain a stable overclock of I had to bump up the vcore to 1.380. I haven't tried to go further than 4.7 as of yet (maybe when it gets colder). And the higher vcore have yet to cause any kind of trouble.

Ps. I'm not the best overclocker, but I know some plus I speak Danish, so feel free to PM me :)

Try LinX with AVX, then we can talk temps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cict9u8jki7wps2

If your already at your temp max you may not be able to go any higher without improving cooling.I have ran into issues with the XMP profile causing issues with OC'ing you may try dropping to manual and setting your ram settings manually. (though I would suggest saving your current settings). Though chances are you just need to give the core more voltage... not every chip is the same, some overclock better then others.

Yeah... I'll just keep it at 4.6 then for now.. after all it's a decent speed imo.. I mean I came from a 3.16GHz dual core lol

Edited by Brutality

You're right about LinX being the test to use for temps... P95 is always 10-15*C lower for me during my stability testing.

However, I can tell you that I have pushed my 2500K to 4.9GHz using my Antec 920 liquid cooler, and your Noctua oughtta be as good if not better. You will have to accept the temperatures will go over 72.6*... mine went up into the high 80's. This will only happen during LinX, however, and I didn't see these temps with any other stability testing (let alone normal usage).

Unfortunately, the Sandy Bridge chips don't leave alot on the menu to tweak and squeeze... you just up the multiplier until its not stable, then up your voltage. Once you get to the highest temps you can handle, that is probably the highest OC you will get (though checking your RAM settings and such can possibly allow you to lower your voltage a little bit, it won't change a whole lot).

So, either go higher temps or stick with 4.6!

Brutality, I tried with Linx at 4.6 GHz and though I only ran for 10 minutes the temps stayed under 72.6.

I'm more than happy to try for a longer period of time, I just didn't have more time at that point.

I'm not trying to make you look bad or anything. I was just puzzled by the high temps, since you have maybe the best air cooler on the market at the moment.

Brutality, I tried with Linx at 4.6 GHz and though I only ran for 10 minutes the temps stayed under 72.6.

I'm more than happy to try for a longer period of time, I just didn't have more time at that point.

I'm not trying to make you look bad or anything. I was just puzzled by the high temps, since you have maybe the best air cooler on the market at the moment.

HWMON doesn't measure sandy bridge temps correctly, use RealTemp (designed for Intel) or even CoreTemp instead.

At least HWMON gave me wrong readings.