AMD FX-8120

GabrielT

I was thinking of picking up a AMD FX-8120 for my wife's PC. She mostly plays wow and other PC games. Maybe if she had this she would get a more CPU intense game but she does have a processor bottle neck right now.

Should I, buy this relatively low clocked 8 core or wait for a really high clocked quad. I am not overclocking her rig BTW because of recent power bills :blink:

I was thinking of picking up a AMD FX-8120 for my wife's PC. She mostly plays wow and other PC games. Maybe if she had this she would get a more CPU intense game but she does have a processor bottle neck right now.

Should I, buy this relatively low clocked 8 core or wait for a really high clocked quad. I am not overclocking her rig BTW because of recent power bills :blink:

I'd recommend the i5 2400S - I have it and it's REALLY quiet and runs cool. The power draw is also low considering I can run anything CPU bound at its maximum potential.

@GabrielTessin, dont buy anything RIGHT NOW. Many, including me, will tell you that there will be price drops from both Intel and AMD in the next month or so. If you can wait and want to save a few bux, then do so. If maybe $50 isnt that important then go ahead and pull the trigger now.

Check this out, Gabe.

AMD-Bang4Bux

@GabrielTessin, dont buy anything RIGHT NOW. Many, including me, will tell you that there will be price drops from both Intel and AMD in the next month or so. If you can wait and want to save a few bux, then do so. If maybe $50 isnt that important then go ahead and pull the trigger now.

Check this out, Gabe.

AMD-Bang4Bux

Dude Why do you have my link there :lol: It in Ireland :P Maybe for european people? On the other hand I have't seen Zambezi anywhere here... I hope they release a special edition Phenom II built on 32nm and various tweeks for power...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

In WOW the FX does not do well, droipping in my testing around 25 FPS at 1080 resolution to an i5. For MMOs I have found the i5 is a much better choice.

+1 If you did a real world test then this good advice.

I hope they release a special edition Phenom II built on 32nm and various tweeks for power...

Won't happen.

@Gab: WOW is a pretty old game... thus it will perform better on CPUs with better single-thread performance. But any recent processor should yield framerates way over what's required...

What does she have now?

Won't happen.

@Gab: WOW is a pretty old game... thus it will perform better on CPUs with better single-thread performance. But any recent processor should yield framerates way over what's required...

What does she have now?

What I said is essentially a APU without the GFX core which I think they are doing?

WoW leans more heavly on the CPU/memory then it does the GPU. Single threaded performace and ram speed has a fairly large effect on WoW..

And from what i've seen in the benches on BD so far, is that in these cases the 1100T and 1090T perform a little better.

She has an Athlon 2 640 on a Gigabyte 990XA UD3 board.

4gb of ram, HD 5770 1tb WD and so on.

The reason I was thinking of getting a better CPU because she deserves it and if she had a more powerful cpu I would recommend a different set of games for her to play.

This all being said the next upgrade may be towards a newer graphics card.