DFI LanParty DK 790FXB-M2RS AM2+

What is the top AMD AM3 cpu supported by this motherboard. Restricted by money and present motherboard.

Edited by Allen

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Props on keeping up to date with your updates! From what I was able to google, it looks like any AM2+ processor will work. I wouldn't hold my breath on an x6 working, but the Phenom II quads sound like they will work

Of course a 938 pin CPU will install, will it boot tho? The issue is the bios date of 10/8/09 which is eighteen months' prior to the release of the Phenom II x4 980, revision C3. The TDP of 125 watts is mighty tempting. DFI was forward thinking in that the 790FX chipset will support eight(8) Gb total DDR2 1066mhz memory. And they go so far as to say it will recognize a Black Edition cpu. Which one tho? Looking to see if anybody has a similar motherboard and has been brave enough, or dumb like me to even think of trying this. I got to get rid of this wimpy Toliman 8450 tri-core. I lust for a 980 and 8 Gb of PC 8500 memory. BTW, kudo's to Russ from Itox who started this whole journey, your a champ!

Cheers:

Al

Edited by Allen

The question in fact was what is the top AM3 processor that is supported by this motherboard. Last time I checked a Phenom II QuadCore 980 was an AM3, not an AM2+. That's providing that all relevant requirement's have been met. Which they have.

Regards:

Edited by Allen

I'm still trying to figure out wth this tread is all about, but as far as cpu support go check for bios updates and you shoud be able to see if it will support the higher end quads.am2+ should support any am3 cpu up to the 125 watt ones. I know my asus board will.

Edit-on there site says x4 965 140 watt is supported, so i'd say the 980 is also going to run fine, hope this helps dude.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

What is the bios for your Asus board? By chance is it a Phoenix Award? To answer your thread. Perhaps this thread and then the related post's were sidetracked. My bios with a date of 10/08/09 is eighteen month's older than before the "AM3 980" was even released. That means the architecture or microcode of said CPU "must" be the same, or close, or it won't be recognized by this particular board DFI board. Hope this helps.

Cheers:

Allen(Al)

Edited by Allen

What is the bios for your Asus board? By chance is it Phoenix Award? Perhaps this thread and then the post was sidetracked. My bios with a date of 10/08/09 was eighteen month's old before the "AM3 980" was even released. That means unless the architecture or microcode of said CPU is the same or close it won't be recognized by my DFI board. Hope this helps.

Cheers:

Allen(Al)

It was the site for your board that I went to, and it supports the x4 965 cpu, rated at 140 watts , so it should support the 980 .