Hi New here have upgrade questions!

Venom1956

he most likely means fans since he said $50 and the actual difference isnt too much maybe 10% you can always overclock the 6950 as well

and perhaps even unlock it to a 6970 :D

the cpu is good enough, especially with what you came from. do you have any ACC/Overclcoking options at all in the BIOS? If you don't have overclocking no need for more CPU cooler, so then go for case fans, otherwise a Hyper 212+ can will be enough for overclocking.

Why more ram? 4GB is a lot, but ram is cheap (but also unneccesary if you don't use it). Just buy the cheapest.

If you use programs that take advantage of nvidias cuda and stuff, they are better, but amd has eyefinity which i think is a nice thing to have... both are about the same performance at each price points...

Corsair PSU usually recommended, but there are many more recommended brands (see recommended Power supply list in the forums).

Hey welcome aboard, for 350 it looks like a good buy, but one thing I noticed is the graphics card slot is pci x 16, not pci 2x16, this may slow down any higher end video card you put into it, so ok guys give the op some feedback on this point.

Hey welcome aboard, for 350 it looks like a good buy, but one thing I noticed is the graphics card slot is pci x 16, not pci 2x16, this may slow down any higher end video card you put into it, so ok guys give the op some feedback on this point.

It might matter for some dual gpu card/setups, but for one card no problem at all. You mean that it's not generation 2 right?

It might matter for some dual gpu card/setups, but for one card no problem at all. You mean that it's not generation 2 right?

Yes exactly, I believe the pcix16 don't transfer as much data as pci2x16. I'm not sure if it will make much difference or not.

Yes exactly, I believe the pcix16 don't transfer as much data as pci2x16. I'm not sure if it will make much difference or not.

So since I only have one PCI-e Slot I shouldn't get the 6970?

I want 8Gb of RAM because I like to have a lot of programs open when I work on my computer. Like Chrome(about 15 tabs...), Music/Video running, I might encode something, or just a little extra for when I run games I like to leave other stuff open on my other monitor on the chance I want to listen to music or look something up online. I also have some smaller programs running like CoreTemp/CPU-Z to keep an eye on my computers CPU/GPU temps.

If I decide to toss in that second harddrive will I need to upgrade the PSU first? The 'green' drive that is in it is ok... but I'd like to install my programs on to something a bit faster.

Currently I am trying to get rid of all this useless "fluff" on windows7... Its frustrating to say the least. I want to be rid of all these stupid forced folders in my user and get Favorites/Homegroup off of windows explorer, etc... Does anyone know if there will be any problems if I uninstall Windows Media Player? I'm not a fan...

I might have to make a new post with some questions. Sigh.

Edited by Venom1956