Venom1956

Hi New here have upgrade questions!

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum alot of my google searches have lead me here one way or another so I figured I would start here.

I recently needed to replace my tower, mobo finally failed after 6 years of loyal service. So with my limited funds I purchased an ACER AM3410-UR22P. It seemed to look pretty good on paper for the money I had. Now that I have it I am curious if I should leave it as is? or would investing in upgrades be worth it? I use my computer for media, movies, and some gaming, I also encode video via handbrake.

My list of planned upgrades that I wanted were:

Bigger PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700

Add 2TB or 1TB Caviar Black drive

12 or 16Gb of RAM

Upgraded Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 or better?

Add Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Add eSATA ports (for my external HDDs I have 2 eSATA drives and one USB 3.0)

Try Overclocking 840t or unlocking other 2 cores (I think this require a new mobo?)

If anyone could offer advice or help I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you need more info on my tower components let me know!

Edited by Venom1956

Budget?

Where are you buying from?

What your existing components are would be nice to know. Especially what case, mainly so we know what CPU cooler will fit.

Welcome to our club! :evilgrin:

psu definitely needs replacing if you are at all considering a different gpu.

The CPU is already quadcore, but seems to have disabled cache (only 2MB active), are you saying that it is supposed to be a hexacore? before doing this, you will need new mobo and possibly psu to handle the extra power draw needed, especially if overclocking. prebuilt mobos usually have crappy power phases.

No chance of returning it, because 500$ can get you further than what you got

Edited by medbor

could you also include info about your gaming habits? prefered resolution,settings,type of games you play?. Basically what you will expect or want it to be able to do.

****don't post pictures unless you have the wires all neat and tidy...Stoner will laugh at you :haha::lol::wave: ...J/K

****don't post pictures unless you have the wires all neat and tidy...Stoner will laugh at you :haha::lol::wave: ...J/K

haha :lol: shhhh don't tell them that :P

I will try to get some pictures up soon. Its literally bone stock. I was in a hurry during the first post. I'll try and get more details.

I was thinking about getting a 700w powersupply? apparently the 840t has sixcores from what I have read online opposed the 840 which is quadcore.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2010/2010110301_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_840T_unlocks_to_six-core.html

I run dual monitors a 32" 1360x768 HDTV and a 19" at 1280x1024. Thinking about replacing the 32" with a new 28" 1900x1200

I like StarCraft and will be aiming to play Battlefield 3?

my budget is flexible I'll probably piece it together slowly PSU first then Graphics card. I have the smaller mid tower.

Here is a link to the inside.

Edited by Venom1956

I will try to get some pictures up soon. Its literally bone stock. I was in a hurry during the first post. I'll try and get more details.

I was thinking about getting a 700w powersupply? apparently the 840t has sixcores from what I have read online opposed the 840 which is quadcore.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2010/2010110301_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_840T_unlocks_to_six-core.html

I run dual monitors a 32" 1360x768 HDTV and a 19" at 1280x1024. Thinking about replacing the 32" with a new 28" 1900x1200

I like StarCraft and will be aiming to play Battlefield 3?

my budget is flexible I'll probably piece it together slowly PSU first then Graphics card. I have the smaller mid tower.

Here is a link to the inside.

After having a close look at it I am with medbor if you could return it and build from scratch you would get a better result. If you want it overclocked/extra cores unlocked I would look at a new mobo. I would replace the gpu and I don't think you need the sound card what speakers are you actually running?

You could go 1-2tb HDD added

leave cpu and mobo alone.

change ram to one of the ridiculously cheap 8gb kits you could add another 4gb alternately but I doubt what is there is speced high you can get 8gb ddr3 1600MHz ram dirt cheap

new graphics I would look at the radeon 6870 for the gpu and the cm psu is good enough for it all but you just replaced

ram, gpu and psu meaning you spent $500 on a mobo cpu dvd drive and hdd....

The additions will cost in the realm of $350 and you will be lucky to get $100 for the stuff getting replaced a 300watt psu, 6450 and 4gb of oem ddr3.

Ok thanks for the info. yeah I actually paid 350 for it. I wouldn't have bought it for 500!

It seemed like a great deal considering I really needed a new tower. I figured at that price If I slowly ended up replacing the whole think except the HDD and disk drive I could live with that. :biggrin: I'd probably end up piecing the old parts back together and have two machines. I spoke with a friend of mine who knows more about stuff he told me to skip the sound card and get a better GPU. I am trying to remember which ones he recommended. he said atleast 650w PSU I figured I would go up to 700w just to be safe. I believe he said a Radeon 6970 or GeForce 560 Ti. He also told me to leave the processor alone. he said I'd be better of saving towards a new CPU/mobo and drop it in a year or two.

What PSU brand and RAM brand would you recommend? Could you post some links?

Also I appreciate you all taking time to help me. =D Thanks a bunch... If you guys wanna help me with my external HDD problem thread to that would be great. :whistling:

Edited by Venom1956

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575

Save $50 getting the 6950 instead of 6970 and you will get a steam code for dirt 3 too. Then the $50 can be used for buying an aftermarket cooler for the CPU.

Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified are the speakers I use. Which was why I was curious about getting the sound card.

So what is the 'actual' differences between the 6950 and 6970 in your opinion? I am reading about it now but I'm just curious why you think that.

When you say aftermarket cooler are you talking about fans? or liquid cooling?

Edited by Venom1956

Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified are the speakers I use. Which was why I was curious about getting the sound card.

So what is the 'actual' differences between the 6950 and 6970 in your opinion? I am reading about it now but I'm just curious why you think that.

When you say aftermarket cooler are you talking about fans? or liquid cooling?

he most likely means fans since he said $50 and the actual difference isnt too much maybe 10% you can always overclock the 6950 as well