Setting up a small network for a school in Africa

stinkpot

HP Proliant Server

Specs:

RAM: 2048 MB

Intel 2.00GHz

HDD: 500GB

I am a Peace Corps volunteer that is station in Ghana. I am working in a college computer lab. I am trying to get there lab up and running. What I have done is installed Ubuntu on a HP server that was donated. I have installed Oracle VM Virtual Box and is using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition as the virtual machine. I have setup DNS, DHCP, Routing and Remote Access, and IIS. I have setup a LAN. The LAN is working excellent. I have developed a simple HTML script on IIS and have all the computers in the computer lab pulling up my simple HTML script. All the computers in the lab can ping and see each other.

The problem is that none of the computers, including my server, can pull up a webpage on the World Wide Web. None of my computers can ping or traceroute any of the servers on the World Wide Web.

Now on the DNS side, I can do a nslookup and query my DNS all day long. My DNS can pull many different IP addresses of any Domain that I requested. I used my ISP DNS as the forwarder. When I go to different computers in my computer lab and do a nslookup, there is no problem, they can query the DNS just fine. They can even switch to different DNS servers and query them with no problem. The problem I am having is that I cannot pull up a typical internet webpage on the World Wide Web. I can not ping a typical webpage on the World Wide Web, or I can not do a traceroute to a server on the World Wide Web.

There is those out there that would say that I would need a typical router. The school has one, but it is broken. Somebody donated to the school a broken Linksys router.

I am trying to get the school network up and running before the kids return back from break which is on the 27th of this month. Can someone please help me?

Oh yeah..........I do have two NIC cards. Both are static, one is pointing to the ISP and the other is pointing to the LAN.

http://www.stanford.edu/~fenn/linux/

how to set it up, may be helpful...

Look like this is all Linux stuff. Can you explain to me how does this tie in with Windows Server 2003? I think that Windows Server 2003 can't communicate with World Wide Web. There is something in Windows Server 2003 that needs to be turned on, is not configured right, or need to be configured. That is my theory.

Look like this is all Linux stuff. Can you explain to me how does this tie in with Windows Server 2003? I think that Windows Server 2003 can't communicate with World Wide Web. There is something in Windows Server 2003 that needs to be turned on, is not configured right, or need to be configured. That is my theory.

On your server you could set up the server to run ESXi which is a virtulization product put out by VMware which is free . http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

edit: sorry see you have Oracle's product running.

This will let you run both your windows 2003 server, along with a Windows server.

I don't know what kind of budget your working with, but I would strongly recomend that you don't use a home router for this project. A Cisco small business router might be a better bet for you.

There is one issue you have with all your OS's being on a single server and that is the issue of failover. What happens when that server goes down? Everything goes down, your dns, DHCP and routing.....

A physical box to handle your routing is a much better idea in this case, and will likely be cheaper than purchasing an additional server to add in a cluster for redundancy...

did not you virtualise the windows server from a linux ubuntu machine? then it is the base os that shoud hanle the routing and the virtuaised can handle the server duties. So that guide was for the underlying ubuntu install ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like the problem is probably at the Linux/hyper visor level.

Are you passing both physical network cards to the Windows Server 2003 VM?

Or are you managing the bridging/routing through Linux?

It sounds like it would be better for you to run the Routing through Server 2003, as you have configured this for so many roles already.