Home Theater Receiver.

Psywar

Sweet, thanks again lol! I'll let you guys know what I end up going with. Probably one of the ones posted above.. I guess for now it is going in my bedroom so it does not need to be anything elaborate.

Gonna hook the Xbox, and Blu-ray player to it.

Once I get it hooked up I am watching Swordfish. That scene right at the beginning where the chick is strapped to the C4 as a proxy mine.

I seen that movie in theaters and when the blast went off and did that 360deg sound around my head I was in love!

--Edit--

Bought this guy: http://www.newegg.co...9ba63d1441eddfd

Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver $199 @ Amazon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I did end up getting that Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1.

I also finally got around to hooking the wires up yesterday. I really dis-like the setup it has. It sucks to navigate it.

I ran in to a snag, and I had a bunch of other crap happen yesterday so I did not get a chance to troubleshoot it.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on something to try.

Hooked all 5 speakers up. I got no sound coming out of any of them.

I did the Auto Setup option Pioneer has built in to this thing. It plays a series of tones and it uses this microphone it came with to determine the distance/size of your speakers.

During the test only on of my speakers were producing any sounds.

The Auto test setup thing would not finish either. Kept ERR and asking me to retry.

I tossed in a DVD in the Blu-Ray and I got signal on the TV. No sound.

I tried the Tuner found an FM station that came in good. Still no sound.. Not even out of the one speaker the tones where coming out of during the auto test thing.

If for some reason you do not have all the speakers hooked up is it not going to produce any sound to any channel? I am gonna try and fiddle with it more after class today.

Anyways, thanks for any advice/tips.

If it's anything like my VSX make sure that you've selected channel A as your output source and disable the multi-room function. On my VSX the channel selector button is immediately to the right of the Input Selector Dial. If the speaker setting shows "SP" that means that no sound will come out of your speakers. If it is set to "Channel B" no sound will come out of your speakers if all of them are hooked to Channel A. You get the idea. I'll download a copy of your users manual and take a look at it here shortly.

After making sure of the above configuration, disconnect all speakers except for the front left and right channels. Select "stereo" as the sound output type (not DD, Prologic, DTS, Ext Surround etc.) Now power on the system and check for audio output from your front left and right speakers.

If that checks ok, power down and connect the rear left and right speakers. Power back up and select Ext Surround as the sound output type. Make sure that you hear audio from all four speakers now. If that checks out ok, repeat previous steps but add the sub at this point. Power up and again check for audio output from each of your 5.1 speakers. While you're at it double check the polarity of all your connections and make sure that the positive lead from the speakers is going to the positive lead of the receiver, and the same for all the negative leads.

I've had my VSX for about two years now. It's a decent receiver and works ok. You got a much better buy than I did though :)

Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo all make very nice AV Receivers no doubt. Sometimes they are cost prohibitive though for those of us on tighter budgets :)

My last two have been Panny and Pioneer. Definitely not audiophile class gear, but they got the job done.

!! If only Id seen this topic sooner!

I was in the market for an AMP not long ago, and also ended up having to pick between an Onkyo and a Pioneer. Went into the shop, and DAM, the Onkyo just won on every level. (interface, sound, convetivity etC)

I walked away with an Onkyo TX-NR509 (someone linked to it earlier) and it is EPIC! The thing is network connected too, so you can listen to Last.fm radio, Internet Radio or stream music from a DLNA server.

As far as your problems with hte Pioneer go, it sounds like either a connection problem between the affected speakers, or a fault with the AMP. I know my parents Pioneer amp has always been a pain to configure anything on, but once that was out of the way it has been a joy to use.

If it's anything like my VSX make sure that you've selected channel A as your output source and disable the multi-room function. On my VSX the channel selector button is immediately to the right of the Input Selector Dial. If the speaker setting shows "SP" that means that no sound will come out of your speakers. If it is set to "Channel B" no sound will come out of your speakers if all of them are hooked to Channel A. You get the idea. I'll download a copy of your users manual and take a look at it here shortly.

After making sure of the above configuration, disconnect all speakers except for the front left and right channels. Select "stereo" as the sound output type (not DD, Prologic, DTS, Ext Surround etc.) Now power on the system and check for audio output from your front left and right speakers.

If that checks ok, power down and connect the rear left and right speakers. Power back up and select Ext Surround as the sound output type. Make sure that you hear audio from all four speakers now. If that checks out ok, repeat previous steps but add the sub at this point. Power up and again check for audio output from each of your 5.1 speakers. While you're at it double check the polarity of all your connections and make sure that the positive lead from the speakers is going to the positive lead of the receiver, and the same for all the negative leads.

I've had my VSX for about two years now. It's a decent receiver and works ok. You got a much better buy than I did though :)

Thank you wevsspot, I am going to print this out and give it a go in a few hours. Ill report back on what happens!

Oh BTW: That router you sold me has been a godsend! It's the first router I have had in 7 years that I have not had to go out and Power it off every 3 days to a week because the DHCP server config got messed up.

I think in the 3/4 months I have had it. I have only had to power it off twice.

Oh BTW: That router you sold me has been a godsend! It's the first router I have had in 7 years that I have not had to go out and Power it off every 3 days to a week because the DHCP server config got messed up.

I think in the 3/4 months I have had it. I have only had to power it off twice.

Glad to hear that Psy. I'm glad it went to a good home because it was a dandy.

Keep us posted on your progress with the VSX. Good luck.

Wev

Have you done a once over on all the speaker connections? If so, then adjust the audio parameter setting.

Turn the receiver on, and press AUDIO PARAMETER until you see HDMI AMP or HDMI THRU. Make sure it's set to HDMI AMP because THRU will pass-thru the HDMI audio to your tv, no output on the amp.

Also another setting you should have, if your TV supports it, is ARC (audio return channel). Just make sure you enable ARC on the pioneer. Check the manual for info on how to do that. Using ARC if you turn the tv off it will cut sound to the speakers. Also if you have Control with HDMI set to ON, turning the TV off should also turn the receiver off. Mess with this setting after getting speakers working.