BIOS dosent support overclocking. Suggestions!

DnaAngel

The current build i am working on dosent support OC In bios, no shock there.

Mobo is a Hp 2028h out of a Hp Compaq dc5800 Microtower.

Now back in the day on the old AGP p4 rigs ive messed with i remember using Clockgen but even that was hit or miss having a PLL that it support.

I know software overclocking is an option but my question is if you had to OC thru software whats the best one for a dual core cpu?

Hi there, just because the mb says hp it is not made by them, check out the markings on it and find out what company made it and then you can proberly find the model number. then you might be able to flash the bios to one that will allow oc'ing, that's if hp didn't put in there own bios that blocks flashing, as far as I know you can't use oc'ing software unless the bios allows it, but I could be wrong, good luck.

Hi there, just because the mb says hp it is not made by them, check out the markings on it and find out what company made it and then you can proberly find the model number. then you might be able to flash the bios to one that will allow oc'ing, that's if hp didn't put in there own bios that blocks flashing, as far as I know you can't use oc'ing software unless the bios allows it, but I could be wrong, good luck.

The model i posted IS the model number

Hp 2028h thats the model number of the actual Mobo, I have double checked and it is an actual HP OEM.

CPU-Z reports same number for mb as well

Ive also flashed BIOS to latest version

If it ain't there OEM does not allow it.....

If it ain't there OEM does not allow it.....

So in la tense terms your saying because theres no OCing feature in BIOS theres absolutely no way to software overclock?

I had a 2.26Ghz P4 rig at one point back in 05? that had no BIOS oc but clockgen got it up to 2.7ghz stable. i would try to use it again but i was told Clockgen is only for Single Core CPU OCs

Theres a paid program ive heard about CPUFSB

also i do appreciate all the help spike

Edited by DnaAngel

Well I'm sure you weren't born last night, and I was trying to be of some help, once again good luck at your oc'ing.

Well any suggestions on a Socket lga 775 Q33 express chipset mobo that will support Core 2 Quads that have decent OC abilities under 100$?

Well any suggestions on a Socket lga 775 Q33 express chipset mobo that will support Core 2 Quads that have decent OC abilities under 100$?

There are two ways to go about this. One if you must has a Q33 chipset then you may have to take a look into our marketplace to see if anyone has a used motherboard for sale in a like chipset.

RIght now from what I can find Newegg has a Q45 Express Open box from Asus that should be a good overclocker for you but im not sure as I do not know what exact chip you have.

It would help me if you could post your chips stepping code or exact model number then we can research what board will fit for you. Cpu-z should have all that info on it too.

Wow, everyone is beating around the bush here. Everyone needs to read the OP's post and stop giving bad information.

Here is your answer - just because BIOS does not allow overclocking, does not mean you can't have software overclocking. You just need to find a program that supports your CPU. I don't know much about what program, though.

Oh and by the way, ALL motherboards support overclocking, manufacturers just hide the features because it can cause issues faster, thus more money to replace it through a warranty.

There are two ways to go about this. One if you must has a Q33 chipset then you may have to take a look into our marketplace to see if anyone has a used motherboard for sale in a like chipset.

RIght now from what I can find Newegg has a Q45 Express Open box from Asus that should be a good overclocker for you but im not sure as I do not know what exact chip you have.

It would help me if you could post your chips stepping code or exact model number then we can research what board will fit for you. Cpu-z should have all that info on it too.

Well i dont necessarily have to have q33 chip was just keeping it as is. AS far as chip stepping CPUz says "D"

Current system specs on tis build are:

Hp mobo 2028h

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200

3GB PC2-6400 RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy SE

PNY Geforce GT 430

Was going to bump it up to :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (q33 chipset supports this and i wasnt planning on replacing MOBO since this is just a side project)

8GB PC2-6400

EVGA GTS 450

but back to my Original quesiton what are the best Programs to OC with since i cannot do so via BIOS?

Well i dont necessarily have to have q33 chip was just keeping it as is. AS far as chip stepping CPUz says "D"

Current system specs on tis build are:

Hp mobo 2028h

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200

3GB PC2-6400 RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy SE

PNY Geforce GT 430

Was going to bump it up to :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (q33 chipset supports this and i wasnt planning on replacing MOBO since this is just a side project)

8GB PC2-6400

EVGA GTS 450

but back to my Original quesiton what are the best Programs to OC with since i cannot do so via BIOS?

http://majorgeeks.com/CPUFSB_d420.html

here's the dl to cpufsb, did dl it so the link is good but didn't try it, good luck.