GSkill RAM - What is up...

Most of the manufacturers make sense. Even though Corsair has multiple Vengeance kits they are clearly noted as Newegg exclusive heatspreader colors.

G.Skill is the only one I see with 3 distinct kits for the same type of RAM.

1. GSkill - Ripjaws
  2. GSkill - Ripjaws X series
  3. GSkill - Sniper Series

They are all:

- 9-9-9-24

- CL9

- DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

- 1.5V

- 8GB (2x4GB)

- $60

The only differences I can see are the heatspreaders and the regular Ripjaws have 2N designator at the end of the timings (i.e. 9-9-9-24-2N), but I don't see anything that should stand out as to why one is superior over the others - deals aside. If I do not see a good deal on a GSkill or Corsair 8GB kit on the Shell Shocker deals I will probably go with the Sniper ones because of the low clearance spreaders ...and the black heat spreader just looks more bad@$$. The other two just have different stickers - maybe one is the older model? :dunno:

But I was just curious if anyone had any insight as to why G.Skill has 3 different model kits to do the same exact thing - seems odd. The GSkill website is devoid of any useful information.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I was just curious if anyone had any insight as to why G.Skill has 3 different model kits to do the same exact thing - seems odd. The GSkill website is devoid of any useful information.

Just for the reasons you listed - people like different colors, shapes, etc. They're probably the exact same chips under the heatspreaders.

Well the funny thing is the Sniper ones USED to be priced more and are marketed toward gamers. The difference between the other two is a... X. :unsure:

Why go to the trouble of producing two different stickers and slightly different looking heat spreaders on the same red background? Seems like a waste in production costs. There has to be a reason to account for production costs. I would think if the heat spreaders on the X series are more efficient in dissapating heat they would advertise that.

I'm bored at the moment, so I have time to ponder the stupid stuff. :teehee:

Personally I love the way the X's look. The snipers are badass too, but I got the X's for the design ;) The regular ripjaws aren't all that appealing to me.

It's definitely just a design thing... except for the low voltage snipers of course.

Well the funny thing is the Sniper ones USED to be priced more and are marketed toward gamers. The difference between the other two is a... X. :unsure:

Why go to the trouble of producing two different stickers and slightly different looking heat spreaders on the same red background? Seems like a waste in production costs. There has to be a reason to account for production costs. I would think if the heat spreaders on the X series are more efficient in dissapating heat they would advertise that.

I'm bored at the moment, so I have time to ponder the stupid stuff. :teehee:

The X series has a black PCB. :P

I've got that set of Snipers in my rig right now, only I have the old camouflage heat spreaders on mine from the early batches, they've been nice and stable so far running at ~1620MHz since I first put this box together around september or so

Personally I love the way the X's look. The snipers are badass too, but I got the X's for the design ;) The regular ripjaws aren't all that appealing to me.

It's definitely just a design thing... except for the low voltage snipers of course.

Agree 100% - the regular Ripjaws just plain look cheap. The X's look nice.

Shows 1.5V for the snipers though so should be the same voltage ...unless you are referring to a different kit that DOES have the low volt.

The X series has a black PCB. :P

:fp::lol:

You are correct, sir!

I've got that set of Snipers in my rig right now, only I have the old camouflage heat spreaders on mine from the early batches, they've been nice and stable so far running at ~1620MHz since I first put this box together around september or so

That is very good to hear, I am honestly thinking of going that route. Since all the RAM was reduced in price I am not sure how many more sales there will be on the good kits of RAM. They are by far the most appealing kit to me.

It has to do with the dram under the heat spreader really. While they have similar timings its all about how they scale.

That should only matter if you care to OC your memory though, correct? And from what I understand reading various posts around the forums there doesn't appear to be any good reason to do so.

The corsair coloured kits are not newegg exclusive and shoudnt be marked as such

Newegg exclusive Red vengeance memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Newegg Exclusive Memory Kit (blue)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233170

Their choice of words, not mine

Agree 100% - the regular Ripjaws just plain look cheap. The X's look nice.

Shows 1.5V for the snipers though so should be the same voltage ...unless you are referring to a different kit that DOES have the low volt.

One of the kits is 1.25V: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

im baffled at how much it matters that something looks cool.. ist not like u look into ur case and go "oh thats some sexy ram heat spreaders!" and if u do, ur a retard u need to get a gf or a bf if u swing that way..

if they are the same thing.. get the cheaper one..