New Over clock

Hey everyone hows it going? I recently just built a new computer and I noticed yesterday that it my CPU was running at 98C when I was ripping DVDs to my HD. So I ordered a corsair hydro H80 yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. I have done a little research and found that this is CPU cooler is good for overclocking and now that I am going to have one I was trying to get into it. I also ordered a RAM cooler as well(not sure if I need one tho). Basically I was just wondering what else I would need to get a good over clock ( I'm aiming for 5ghz )also what is some good software or best way to overclock and to monitor your system like desktop gadgets?

Here are my specs:

CPU - Core i-7 2600k

MOBO - ASUS Sabertooth p67

RAM - 16gb g. skill ripjaws

GPU - HD Radeon 6970

CASE - Antec 1200

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you try overclocking with the stock cooler and if so how much?!

naw man I know next to nothing about overclocking but I know that 98c is way to hot so I bought a nice water cooler so that I could learn how and do it. Ive seen most people have this CPU around 5.0ghz and 5.5ghz

Andy - welcome to the OCC forums.

First, lets set some realistic goals for you. I'm sure there are lots of 2600Ks that will hit 5.0Ghz and run there happily 24/7 with the proper cooling, good power source and appropriate BIOS tweaks. But, considering the fact that you are new to overclocking, and apparently new to the socket 1155 platform, initially I think you should be setting your sights on around 4.5Ghz or so for starters.

Second, you should determine why your current setup is running so hot at stock settings. There are a few reasons this could be happening, but we need to understand why. As already asked, how is the cooling, airflow and ventilation in your current case? Are you sure that you properly installed the OEM cooler? Is the fan on the OEM cooler actually spinning when powered up? Are all BIOS settings at stock/default values? 98C is way too hot for your processor at stock settings and just burning a cd/dvd/bluray.

The Hydro will outperform the stock cooling solution by magnitudes, but not if you repeat whatever mistake is causing your current temperature issue.

Lastly - in your specs. you didn't note what power supply you have.

I recently just built a new computer and I noticed yesterday that it my CPU was running at 98C when I was ripping DVDs to my HD.

:snap: What case do you have and what are your ambient temps. That is in the danger zone for heat. Don't even think of overclocking, you really should be thinking of downclocking with that kind of heat.

Secondly, you should determine why your current setup is running so hot at stock settings. There are a few reasons this could be happening, but we need to understand why. As already asked, how is the cooling, airflow and ventilation in your current case? Are you sure that you properly installed the OEM cooler? Is the fan on the OEM cooler actually spinning when powered up? Are all BIOS settings at stock/default values? 98C is way too hot for your processor at stock settings and just burning a cd/dvd/bluray.

:withstupid: I bet something is going on with the stock cooler, maybe a pin on 1 side isn't pushed in or something. You really have to install any cooler almost perfectly to avoid seeing temps like this. Even before that H80 gets to your door, I would be checking the stock cooler install ;)

98 that is mot good at all. Just how ventilated is your computer? You are saying it was hitting that temp with no oc and with the stock cooler right??

yeah thats what is was saying and I have the Antec 1200 so its pretty ventilated I was using coretemp to get the temp

Andy - welcome to the OCC forums.

First, lets set some realistic goals for you. I'm sure there are lots of 2600Ks that will hit 5.0Ghz and run there happily 24/7 with the proper cooling, good power source and appropriate BIOS tweaks. But, considering the fact that you are new to overclocking, and apparently new to the socket 1155 platform, initially I think you should be setting your sights on around 4.5Ghz or so for starters.

Second, you should determine why your current setup is running so hot at stock settings. There are a few reasons this could be happening, but we need to understand why. As already asked, how is the cooling, airflow and ventilation in your current case? Are you sure that you properly installed the OEM cooler? Is the fan on the OEM cooler actually spinning when powered up? Are all BIOS settings at stock/default values? 98C is way too hot for your processor at stock settings and just burning a cd/dvd/bluray.

The Hydro will outperform the stock cooling solution by magnitudes, but not if you repeat whatever mistake is causing your current temperature issue.

Lastly - in your specs. you didn't note what power supply you have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171049

that's my PSU I knew I forgot something...my bad. the cooling is good as far as I can tell. I have the antec 1200 and all the fans are set on high and I checked the stock cooler and it seems fine to me and yeah 4.5ghz would be awesome to start with but eventually I would like to hit 5.0ghz or I even saw one that was hitting 5.5ghz...one day lol

So I just installed the corsair Hydro H80 and the core temps are sitting right between 60c-68c. and the pics are what I found when i took the stock cooler off...are you kidding me?! How does something like that happen? I double checked it TWICE and it was on right!! wtf?! Oh and I dont know if this makes a difference but it is also 80 degrees F in my freakin room right now bc it is 106F outside!! temps still sitting in mid sixties centigrade running prime95 for about 30min now...is that good?

post-78381-0-01074400-1312408265_thumb.jpg

post-78381-0-03868200-1312408344_thumb.jpg

You're in much better shape now. That Intel OEM thermal paste is junk. Matches perfectly with their cooler :)

Congrats on the new Hydro.

lol Yeah your telling me man! What about the thermal paste that came with the hydro? Now all I need help with is getting my CPU up to 4.5ghz....any advice?