Installing Windows 7 onto a Flash Drive

I've been searching online on how to install Windows 7 onto a flash drive so I can run windows 7 off of it, but I've found no info on how to successfully do it.

No I am not trying to make a usb drive that can install Windows 7 on other computers.

The reason I'm asking is because my OCZ Vertex 2 60Gbs seems to have died so I need something that I can run windows off of for while I'm RMAing the drive.

The SSD seems to lose connection whenever I'm doing recovery images of it in a attempt to save the data. Hopefully they'll send me the 34nm version of the drive instead of the 24nm version....

I have one 16Gb and one 4Gb flash drive that I can use. I don't have a external hard drive or a spare hard drive.

Thanks in advance

lol he wants to use the USB as the hard drive...and instal windows on it and run it....

follow the steps to set up the USB drive but instead of copying the install files to it just reboot with the USB drive it and set the boot order to teh DVD drive to install Win7 and in the Hard drive order set the USB key to the drive to install to. Win7 should see it and install to it.

I have done it with a 16gb Patriot USB flash drive

Alright I'm on the second page of the tutorial and I don't know how I should set up the USB so i can boot. They copied the installation files over but I'm not using the drive to install windows 7.

What should I do at this point bowtie? Just copy the bootmgr file over?

nope nothing....all you need to do is format the drive how they show you and make it show up in the Hard drive properties...if the BIOS sees it as a hard drive windows will too...

I used a different guide but this one works too

I followed the steps but the computer still sees it as a removable storage device. I restarted the computer and went to the boot menu and its still seen as a usb storage device.

then it isnt recognized right or the format didnt take....mine all show up as Hard Drives in the BIOS when I boot with them plugged in....

EDIT:

This is the guide I used....

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

only difference is when you get to the part to copy the windows install files (the whole disk) to the USB drive STOP and do nothing....just dont copy the windows DVD to the drive....mine show as Hard drives even being blank....boot it and install to it

I went through the guide and I did not copy the windows install files. I then restart my computer and boot up the windows 7 install CD.

The flash drive still doesn't appear as a hard drive listed. I have tried the same method on both my flash drives. My 16GB and my 4GB.

I have a 111GB external hard drive but it can't work as a bootable because of the firewire connection from the hard drive to the USB connection.

thats weird....

When I use that guide that I linked BOTH my Patriot X-Porter and my Kingston Data-Travlers show up as Hard Drives in the BIOS....thats the key to installing to a USB drive..if its in the list you can install to it...sorry its not working out for you...

I was under the impression that you couldn't install W7 on any removable drive regardless of "drive type".

Isn't the Doc saying that the thumb drive actually appears NOT as a removable drive but as a fixed hard drive with a drive letter assigned?