Sign in to follow this  
My_Inner_Fred

Installing Windows 7 onto a Flash Drive

it does in the BIOS....but if you install windows on a hard drive windows sees it as a flash drive inside the OS....but before the windows instal it can be seen by the install disk as a Hard drive. No matter how I use them now even as Windows is running the BIOS sees them as Hard Drives.

Windows Installer will see them as that too with no other Hard Drive hooked up...at least mine have on both a Asus P5E-VM and a all the 785, 790 and 890 ATI chipset boards and my P55

Did you manually assign a drive letter to the thumb drive? Did you format the thumb drive with the NTFS file system?

When I did it All I did was follow the guide and the ONLY thing I did NOT do was copy the Windows DVD to the drive....everything else I did to the letter.

The BIOS sees it as a Hard Drive and when I went to install Windows it was in the list of things to install to....so I did...Several times

Now you should have a bootable thumb drive, formatted NTFS, and drive letter assigned. Put your Win 7 installation disk in your optical drive, make sure BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD ROM first and reboot the computer. Once you reboot Win 7 will start the installation routine.

If your USB Drive and CD/DVD ROM drive are the only two connected -Win 7 will ask you if you want to install on the partition you created on the thumb drive. Click yes and you should be good to go.

I don't know how u did it dr bowtie but it doesn't work. I've used different methods and I have still not succeeded.

I have gotten unbuntu to boot of the drive but windows 7 is still a negative for me. I've been trying to get this to work for days now.

EDIT: Any other suggestions? Any input is good at this point.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

Huh, so it is possible.

Anywho - won't this kill a thumb drive pretty quickly? AFAIK there's no FTL inside thumb drives to keep from wearing out specific sectors under intense writing.

Found out how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_kTr0e-GB0

WARNING Its not legal to do this.

I bought a USB 3.0 external drive because the usb flash drive was yes... horrendously slow...

Sadly my SSD came in today so I've only got to use this for 2 days.... Not worth all the time I was searching for a method to do this.

I hope this helps u guys!