Spotty Dsl Connection

So my friends parents and I have the same company for our DSL service the only difference being at my house it works all the time and at their house it goes out for a few minutes here and there. sometimes it works when they power off the modem and turn it back on and othetimes it doesn't. I suggested that they exchange the modem and see that helps but they wont be able to do that until Monday. Do you guys have any other ideas?

yep....

check all the wire connections. Most commonly the wires corrode at the box on the house where the wires come from the pole to the house. They must be clean and in good shape. next also set the MTU in the router itself to 1495

dsl is fine as long as the connections are good....

When I had 3meg DSL I actually went to the box out side and ran a new wire in Door Bell wire...its that heavier red/white wire and I ran that direct to the jack for the modem. I always ran the number. for me 3meg DSL is very comparable to 20meg cable....

It looks like they have phone lines running all over the outside of their house that are stapled and smashed and go into random holes where on the inside they put a phone jack. Could that be the problem?

Edited by GodlyManDude540

dsl is fine as long as the connections are good....

When I had 3meg DSL I actually went to the box out side and ran a new wire in Door Bell wire...its that heavier red/white wire and I ran that direct to the jack for the modem. I always ran the number. for me 3meg DSL is very comparable to 20meg cable....

Haha? Seriously? The latency is worse? And my one didn't work? Call the company dude?

• 1 month later...

I just got ATT Uverse 12mb DSL and I am loving the heck out of it. Beats the crap out of Time Warner's roadrunner, which would always have "spotty" internet anyway. The router/wireless device is great, and has an awesome signal. Just a recommendation if anyone has it near there area.

DSL loses strength the farther you are from the telco. It could be that he is on the edge of their service coverage.

How far are you from your friends house? Also if you could post a ping test (to the ISP's default gateway), as well as a traceroute results.

If your getting alot of dropped packets it could be a fault with the modem, or it could be a fault with the line.

You can try eliminating a router and go directly through the DSL modem. Also make sure there are filters installed on every phone device in the house. I have seen an answering machine cause issues with DSL.

Also how old is their house? If its an older house (ex 100 years) they might need to replace some of the phone wiring with more up to date twisted pair. I have seen older homes suffer this way.

It might be an issue on the ISP side too, they might need to send a technician out to repair the line.

Edited by greengiant912