Help cooling Northbridge

Guest Digy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the way the motherboard is configured. Maybe it uses the NB to help out on the Onboard GPU but I could have sworn that was the SB that handled that. Oh well.

I would go grab some Arctic Ceramique or some thermal pads off Frozencpu.com or Sidewindercomputers.com and installed a new pad or tim on the NB chip.

The NB is just below or south the Zif socket and above the First PCI-express slot (where you place the chip). the chips power metering system is Directly West of the chip Or a genarically the mosfets. The lower HS area just east of the Expansion lanes is where the SB is.

There are a hand full of options here so I listed a few that I think will help.

1: Option would be to find a way to get air out of the case more effectively. The worst thing working against you at this time is the Exhaust everywhere Video card. Its superheat is getting involved with the NB and this will not help Idle or load temps. Try to get a rear exhaust video card as it would be a benifit for the NB and everything else inside the case. They are not perfect and produce radiant heat but a actual rear exhaust video card would drop down the temps of mostly everything in the case in general.

2: having the top vent as an intake is not a good idea. This will eventually after gaming for some time let heat down and back in. Switch it to an exhaust unless its the only thing keeping the Processor cool. And to go with that all its doing from the diagram is pushing down on the heat that the Video card is sending upward.

3: Modify it to hearts content. First take the Upper hard drive rack out and place a better fan there. Possibly add a top exhaust if there is room for another 120mm fan. Maybe a fan or two below the video card to help move air upward? (OK now I need to mod something right fast. )

4: More air effective case. I know that case is a nicely rounded antec But there are some key places it suffers its design. Without getting to hard into that I would say maybe another case would be a good move or modifying the one you have. But this would be a last ditch effort to cool the system with the case.

Here is a phot below of the board layout. Follow along above and you shall understand the locations.

Chipset waterblock

1. How do I know if a card is rear exhaust, or are you just talking about getting one of those fans you stick under a GPU?

2. I will fix this as soon as I try spot cool...

3,How would I put fans below a gpu to blow upward? Don't really understand how that would help, like where would i put exactly? Also, I put another intake on the front below the blu-ray burner... helped my SB temps surprisingly...

4, Won't really do this since I'm not in the mood of wasting a case since i got it a week ago... Also I like to keep a sleek case, this seemed the best choice... I used to use a sonata at first, now that was surprisingly not that bad of temps for that kind of case....

and thanks for the pic, i finally get where the stuff is...

Also, would i need both a thermal pad and tim, or could i just use the silver i have left over from another job...

Edited by Digy

Nortbridge temps are good over 80. Your temps are fine and will not contribute to any instability. Your search to cool it better is a waste of time at this point imo.

1. How do I know if a card is rear exhaust, or are you just talking about getting one of those fans you stick under a GPU?

2. I will fix this as soon as I try spot cool...

3,How would I put fans below a gpu to blow upward? Don't really understand how that would help, like where would i put exactly? Also, I put another intake on the front below the blu-ray burner... helped my SB temps surprisingly...

4, Won't really do this since I'm not in the mood of wasting a case since i got it a week ago... Also I like to keep a sleek case, this seemed the best choice... I used to use a sonata at first, now that was surprisingly not that bad of temps for that kind of case....

and thanks for the pic, i finally get where the stuff is...

Also, would i need both a thermal pad and tim, or could i just use the silver i have left over from another job...

Ill draw somethings up for you. Its not that bad of mods. Ill do this drawing tonight and ill explain the video card deal with you.

Talk to you soon.

Video card Exhaust systems. Rear versus everywhere in laymen terms. Basically the difference is where the Exhaust goes. Is the air almost all expelled out the rear of the case or is the Air expelled from the rear of the case and everywhere else around the video card itself. I know its Much easier if you have held the video card in your hands but I will do my best to explain.

This Card is a good example of a predominantly rear exhaust video card. The only other place the Exhaust is a small port at the rear of the video card opposite of the PCIx slots. This cards downside is normally they do not cool as well and run a bit hotter in some cases. Now the big advantage to this is they exhaust there air out of the case. This is a huge advantage because the air of the Video cards is going to be the hottest and needs to be evacuated as soon as the Heat is cycled out of the video card itself. Now you do deal with radiant head coming from the top of the card but that alone is not so much a small fan can keep under control. The overclock on "most" of these cards will be slightly limited BUT what you gain is better then what you loose as the entire system will be cooler then the alternative.

On the other hand this is a good example of what I call an exhaust everywhere video card. Its advantage "most of the time" (not all none reference coolers are built well as I have experience with a Ladybird gtx 285) is there is a chance that the cooler will perform better then stock. This comes at a cost. Its downfall with the way the HSF on the VGA is situated it will exhaust almost all of its air out along the sides of the card in into whatever components are held above it inside the case. Things like the processor, NB HSF, Chipset are now at the mercy of the video card and under heavy loads the air coming from the card can be much like a blow dryer or even hotter. But not all non reference coolers are built like this one. They are all different and they need to be looked at well as some of them actually make the Motherboard very hot compared to it counterpart.

Ill start working on the next part of your question soon.

To test your I would get the system running and check where the air from the VGA is going. belive me you should be able to feel it coming out around the card somewhere.

Don't just get a thermal paste. Grab a few pads while you order the stuff as sometimes JUST the paste is not enough and you need a pad to close a big gap on a component. Just be careful what TIM you use as some of the Pastes out are conductive. Arctic Ceramic is not so that would be best to use.

Reference or Rear Exhaust style fans are also better for SLI/Crossfire because they don't double the heat in the case :thumbsup:

Yes Ivy another one of my explanations that likely belongs in a guide.