Need a reliable SSD

Darth_Tom

I like my Vertex 2, and I know it isn't comforting to say but I don't trust any SSD like I do mechanical drives but I'm very good with creating monthly images of my OS drives on both my laptop and desktop.

What's your price range??

I thought you said you weren't buying into SSD unless it was $1/GB or under?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you said you weren't buying into SSD unless it was $1/GB or under?

I got my Vertex 2 for $125 (close enough for me) and just bought a Kingston 64GB SSD for $40 brand new :D .

I can't wait for my Kingston to come in, mythos did it make a big difference in the htpc?

Yep, it'd be a fine daily driver if my main rig went down :D. Really woke it up, and I'm gonna take out my meter tonight and see how much less power it consumes too :thumbsup:

That's what I was hoping to hear, my main rig main draw back is the drive so this should give it a little more spunk.

Most definitely, I have about 29GB used of it with Win7 totally updated with just some media players on it and stuff.

Like the others have already said, it determines how you define "Reliable" most all SSD's on the market are as reliable as the next. If however what you want is a drive you can install windows on and game and do things and not have many worries of any kinda for a year or 2 or more then you want a platter drive or HDD. SSD = Performance, thats what you pay for in return you sacrifice some reliability.

Well, I want performance. That's the point, and my top priority. Reliability is just my second priority, and I wanted the most reliable SSD I could find if possible. Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into an Intel or a Vertex 2 (NOT E) in my price range. Glad I resisted the $145 shell shocker on a 120GB E.

Most definitely, I have about 29GB used of it with Win7 totally updated with just some media players on it and stuff.

Well I got mine in and found out that my DVD drive went belly up(wont read anything) so I've got an rma started on that but in the mean time I imaged the drive over to the ssd and its a little faster but I'm sure it will get better when i can do a fresh install. atm I'm using 33.5gb of it with my usual installed.

Funny you used "reliable and SSD" in the same sentence! ;) I'd wait if I were you, or just spend that 200 - 300 for a good RAID 0 setup with normal mechanical hard drives. you'd won't see a difference.

Yeah the crucial M4 doesn't have a sandforce controller, so it should have less problems (marvel controller,...)

is my second choice, i prefer a revodrive (the 110 gb model) but there is almost no information about it on the web