noctua d14 compatibility?

you can see my setup including my HSF in my sig. overclocking to 4.01GHz w/HT it has been suggested to me that a d14 HSF would do a much better job then the clunky v8 I have now. I looked into the d14. seems very cool. HUGE but cool.

several things I need to ask the comunity before I waste $90 on something I barely need tho...

since the weight is about 900g I suppose it's a big mama-jama but the devs must've known that so I suppose it'll hold. what bothers me is the size. on some photos it covers the first RAM slot. I don't think that'll work. I have a small fan on the RAM so I guess I'll have to take that off. the RAM itself has pretty substantial heatsinks - will that get in the way?

if anyone has my setup plz reply guys, becuase I won't shell out the dough untill I can be sure it wont break my RAM.

932 HAF case, i7 920 @ 4.01GHz w/HT, 3x2GB corsair dominator 1600 RAM, asus p6x58d mobo.

~thanx

Here is the official Noctua RAM compatibility list;

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34

Note the exceptions for the Corsair Dominator series, that includes instructions on removing part of the RAM heatsink assembly.

Bottom line is that maximum memory height cannot exceed 44mm - and if I remember correctly that is measured from the top of the DIMM slot to the top of the RAM heatspreaders.

Here is the official Noctua RAM compatibility list;

http://www.noctua.at...&products_id=34

Note the exceptions for the Corsair Dominator series, that includes instructions on removing part of the RAM heatsink assembly.

Bottom line is that maximum memory height cannot exceed 44mm - and if I remember correctly that is measured from the top of the DIMM slot to the top of the RAM heatspreaders.

I did exactly that, removing part of the RAM heatsink assembly, and I had no problems. I had to remove the first two heatsinks that were in the slots that were the closes to the cpu, some heatsinks do not have removable sinks though.

Of Its corsair dominator ram then forget about using the d14 unless you want to remove the top portion of the heatsink. And you have a like set-up to mine and a d14 overhangs the a1 and b1 slot. Good luck. Put some mushkin ram in with the small heat spreaders on them And you should be good

Have you considered a self contained water cooling option such as the H70 from Corsair. Can be had for right around $100 - which is very close to what you were thinking of spending anyway............ just a thought.

Have you considered a self contained water cooling option such as the H70 from Corsair. Can be had for right around $100 - which is very close to what you were thinking of spending anyway............ just a thought.

^This.

Not to mention there's also the Thermalright Archon which can trade blows with the D14 all while being extremely thin [keeps the RAM area clean].

Have you considered a self contained water cooling option such as the H70 from Corsair.  Can be had for right around $100 - which is very close to what you were thinking of spending anyway............ just a thought.

:withstupid: And out of the darkness comes an Illuminating idea. :D good one wevspot.

It would be alot easier to mount and dismount compaired to the D14, almost no pressure on the PCB as the block head weighs very little and It will perform on a level playing field with the D14. :D

^This.

Not to mention there's also the Thermalright Archon which can trade blows with the D14 all while being extremely thin [keeps the RAM area clean].

this is interesting - since I have a V8 already I want something that justifies the price. or no trade up at all.

p.s. (edit) can I get 2 fans with the Thermalright Archon ? like here http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/thermalright_archon_cpu_cooler_review,6.html (page 6) or is that craziness?

Edited by Crawlerz246

one of the main characteristics I did not know to factor in when I bought the v8 is cleaning. one row of fins is hard enough to vaccum, two is impossible. whenever I check and vacuum the thing it gets insanely dust-clogged. so something with a single stack of fins might be the way to go.

Archon maybe. although they said that Archon lost out to Venomous X in their tests. is that possible? I guess it is if they say so. I even saw a factory venomous x with 2 fans (push-pull type deal). is that supposed to be any better then a single setup?

please chime in so I can already stop talking myself in circles and get something that cools a bit better.

Crawler - what's your aversion to the H70? It's solid choice price versus performance and maintenance in easy as pie.

Several responders to you thread have pretty much agreed it would be a good alternative - so not sure what's keeping you talking in circles..................................