ocing 965 with a d 14

so i got a new cooler so i think its time for new clocks, this will be my second time overclocking so i am still a little noobish, i had a sucessful clock before of 4.0 but it got to hot so i bumped it down to 3.8.

which prime 95 test am i supposed to run?

I've been running blend test for about 3 hours, so far, i am going to let it run for about 12 more, highest temps ive seen so far is 58c

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow is that the 140W 965?? why are the temps like i7 high with a d14?!

no its the 125w, and its not stable either, i think my problem lies with my fan controller, it doesnt really go up that high, my mobo actually does better, and i think the case fan by the cpu is facing the wrong way, and i put the cooler on upside down, so i had to move the fans around on it, my case doesnt flow right

I was also thinking something was up, its only a couple degrees better than my v6, i am going to just tear my rig apart and put it back together.

anyway i got a bsod at about 5 hours of prime 95, just running stock clocks for now, going to mess with it saturday,

oh and for referance, im running 45c on stock settings folding on all four cores, and room temp is about 68F

no its the 125w, and its not stable either, i think my problem lies with my fan controller, it doesnt really go up that high, my mobo actually does better, and i think the case fan by the cpu is facing the wrong way, and i put the cooler on upside down, so i had to move the fans around on it, my case doesnt flow right

I was also thinking something was up, its only a couple degrees better than my v6, i am going to just tear my rig apart and put it back together.

anyway i got a bsod at about 5 hours of prime 95, just running stock clocks for now, going to mess with it saturday,

oh and for referance, im running 45c on stock settings folding on all four cores, and room temp is about 68F

even 45c sounds high for a D14 and stock settings

Yeah I agree with |V| that sounds high. I have some xigmatek 92mm cooler which is not nearly as good as a D14, and my CPU @ stock does not go over 38C with an ambient temp around 78F. Might want to look in to the TIM and fan placement first :)

ok, i fixed the fans, and i re applied thermal compound, the first time left part of the cpu uncovered, so i spread a little this time, and it now its 46c full load, at stock clocks, so my question is, does the noctua compound have a break in period similar to artic silver?

That all depends on who makes it, I use artic silver mx 4 and it has no break in period, yet artic silver 5 has a break in time, it might say on it who manufactured it.

And by the way, congrats on the cooler temps, much better ;-)

Edited by SpikeSoprano

That all depends on who makes it, I use artic silver mx 4 and it has no break in period, yet artic silver 5 has a break in time, it might say on it who manufactured it.

And by the way, congrats on the cooler temps, much better ;-)

its the noctua compound, and its not as good as before, before it was at 45, but that was with the air conditioner on, so that might be part of it, i wont know any real improvements untill the ac runs for a while.

Edited by camaro_dude15

Stock voltage should usually be 1.35... And I'm pretty sure you can undervolt it if you are on stock settings. My 955 @ 3.8 has a max load of about 50 C if my room is <78° F, normal load, temps are about 46 C. How's the airflow of your case?