Steam Daily Deals

Avinexis

I have to admit, I find the Borderlands 2 GOTY to be weird. Generally GOTYs are a complete package that include all of the DLC for the game, but Gearbox has stated they are going to be releasing more DLC campaigns in the future; an entire season-pass worth. This just feels like a tactic to me to get more money from people, more so than DLC is. I mean we know that more DLC is still coming, but a lot of people may see the GOTY on sale and purchase it thinking they have everything, only to eventually find they do not.

I have to admit, I find the Borderlands 2 GOTY to be weird. Generally GOTYs are a complete package that include all of the DLC for the game, but Gearbox has stated they are going to be releasing more DLC campaigns in the future; an entire season-pass worth. This just feels like a tactic to me to get more money from people, more so than DLC is. I mean we know that more DLC is still coming, but a lot of people may see the GOTY on sale and purchase it thinking they have everything, only to eventually find they do not.

The GotY edition contains the DLC that existed during the year for which the game achieved GotY. I don't see anything wrong with them continuing to support the game beyond that. I'm sure whenever they decide to stop working on BL2 and move on to BL3, they'll create a BL2 Complete Pack. If people want to wait for that, so be it.

The GotY edition contains the DLC that existed during the year for which the game achieved GotY. I don't see anything wrong with them continuing to support the game beyond that. I'm sure whenever they decide to stop working on BL2 and move on to BL3, they'll create a BL2 Complete Pack. If people want to wait for that, so be it.

I'm not complaining about the continued support and development. My point was that a GOTY is commonly considered the complete version of a game, with all additional content, so by releasing a GOTY before all of the additional content is released, an unnecessary opportunity for consumer-confusion is created. We know that the GOTY is not going to be complete, but we are not the average gamer. We are considerably more informed. The average gamer will expect a GOTY to contain everything, just as is the case with other GOTYs. They are not going to expect a GOT2Y edition.

As you said, 'if people want to wait for [bL2 Complete Pack], so be it.' My point is that not everyone is going to know to wait for the Complete pack versus the GOTY, as more often than not, they are the same thing. Furthering my point, when someone who purchased the GOTY finds new DLC is being released for it that they do not have, there is a chance they will consider it a cash-grab and object to it, similar to how people object to the micro DLC that only provide cosmetic changes. 'Why couldn't it just be included in what I bought? Why would I have to pay for this?' I question why Gearbox would put themselves into a scenario where such questions could be raised.

2K did the same with Civilization V, where the Gold Edition came out about 5-6 months before Brave New World did. BNW is still available separately and not as part of any other bundle.

2K did the same with Civilization V, where the Gold Edition came out about 5-6 months before Brave New World did. BNW is still available separately and not as part of any other bundle.

And from what I've seen, sold pretty damn well (BNW, that is).

Jim, I fail to see why you think the average gamer wouldn't understand what's going on. I've seen nothing on any gaming site (IGN, GS, Kotaku, PCG) that has indicated that people don't understand that the GotY only contains "year one content" and that Season 2 DLC is coming. I don't know your definition of "average gamer", but we're not talking casuals here - a large majority of the target market for a game like BL2 will be informed. You have to remember, the Season 2 DLC was already announced before the GotY, it's not like they released a GotY and then surprised everyone with new DLC.

I simply doubt that the average gamer regularly checks gaming news sites and is going to know. Now if you think the average gamer does, that's fine and we can just leave it at that.

I think the average gamer checks for info on the games they purchase, yes.