X3 720 -> X4 20 BE

Waco

Well 3.5 seems to be the limit with 4 cores. Temps aren't a problem at all but it just won't boot and run stability tests at 3.6.

3.5 GHz quad from a 2.8 GHz tri-core isn't too bad! :biggrin:

Well I spoke too soon - 3.5 isn't 100% stable. Prime bombed out. I'm trying again at 3.4 GHz to see how she does. It's still a quad. :D

Here's the CPU-Z validation: 1812770.png

Edited by Waco

I don't want to go above 1.45V, but 3.4GHz is comfortable for me on mine. Good luck getting further of course, but this is still a decent OC, in my opinion.

I do have to ask though, have you had any luck increasing the HT past 200? Every time I've tried going past it I get errors, since I settled in at an 800MHz clock on the RAM (as opposed to the 667MHz the old BIOS had me limited too, so still an improvement).

I don't want to go above 1.45V, but 3.4GHz is comfortable for me on mine. Good luck getting further of course, but this is still a decent OC, in my opinion.

I do have to ask though, have you had any luck increasing the HT past 200? Every time I've tried going past it I get errors, since I settled in at an 800MHz clock on the RAM (as opposed to the 667MHz the old BIOS had me limited too, so still an improvement).

I didn't try increasing the HTT base clock - didn't really see the point with a Black Edition CPU. I have the RAM running at 1600 MHz without any real extra effort - but I wouldn't doubt if the extra CPU-NB voltage I have set makes running faster RAM easier.

if I remember correctly, 720's were 940's that did not pass specifications. AMD disabled 1 core and labled them 720 x 3. The overlocing capabilities were somewhat limited due to the chip and or core holding the chip back at 940 specs...... Some cores unlocked and overclocked fine and some unlocked and did not overclock as good. Some simply did not unlock. The 720 is a crapshoot for overclocking unfortunately.

I always thought the x3 720 was an OC'n champ or was it just the first batches?? (thinking Q6600 G0)

well it really depends if the demand was higher at that time than the supply of slightly flawed 940's then AMD would lock a core on a perfectly good quad core. so some will be better than others.

Edited by camaro_dude15

I didn't try increasing the HTT base clock - didn't really see the point with a Black Edition CPU. I have the RAM running at 1600 MHz without any real extra effort - but I wouldn't doubt if the extra CPU-NB voltage I have set makes running faster RAM easier.

I'm pretty sure the reason my computer won't boot with that increased has to do with my motherboard, so yours may let you go a bit further.

I always thought the x3 720 was an OC'n champ or was it just the first batches?? (thinking Q6600 G0)

I'm pretty sure they are, but when you unlock the cores, there's no guarantee. I've not tried OCing it as a 3-core and I don't want to raise the voltage too high (I'm keeping the 1.45 as my limit) so I don't know how far it could go. Really, I think the main reason people loved them for OCing was the possibility of unlocking it and even if that failed you could still OC since it is a BE. Take BluePanda's old 720; she got it to 3.6GHz on 3 cores. I'm at 3.4GHz on four. Either way, that's not bad, especially for the price.

well it really depends if the demand was higher at that time than the supply of slightly flawed 940's then AMD would lock a core on a perfectly good quad core. so some will be better than others.

I suppose that happenned but AMD never officially said this. Conjecture.