OCZ Vertex 3 480GB overpriced much?

El_Capitan

Lol, does OCZ not realize that people who can do math can get two 240GB Vertex 3's for $1100, instead of a single 480GB for $1900? It's not like most motherboards don't have at least two SATA 6GB ports.

Also, it will take 16 minutes to fill up the 480GB SSD at the rated write speeds. That's got to be a rare 16 minutes of fun for $1900. :doh:

Lol, does OCZ not realize that people who can do math can get two 240GB Vertex 3's for $1100, instead of a single 480GB for $1900? It's not like most motherboards don't have at least two SATA 6GB ports.

Also, it will take 16 minutes to fill up the 480GB SSD at the rated write speeds. That's got to be a rare 16 minutes of fun for $1900. :doh:

Hahaha +1, so true. It's literally like $3+ per GB, what a joke! woot.gif

Until it's like ~$0.50 per GB for SSD's, I am not leaving good ol' disk drives.

Edited by MJCRO

ya, but even so, who's gonna pay $1100 for 2 240gb drives other than a data center, or corporate data farm? And at that price they are pretty likely to want to fill up all the sata connections on their motherboards. To get the most storage out of their servers, they are gonna pretty much be forced to go with the 480gb drives, even though they are a shit-ton more

SSD are far overpriced. They cost less then half to make.

That's not true with high density, high speed NAND. It's FAR more expensive than the smaller and/or slower packages. I'd be shocked if the margins on the larger models is even 10%.

Doesnt change that the much higher capacity memory chips are alot more expensive, last time i opened up an SSD, there was only 16 chips total for storage, so if you go by a similar fashion as that, getting 480GB would likely require 16 much more expensive chips to get that storage, where as the 240 is just all 16 of the mass produced smaller/cheaper chips, and 120 is only 8.

this summer i am saving up all the money i make, actually i already am saving, and i am going to be building a 4 way sli rig, with 580's and a 980x, i will buy one of these (unless something better comes out) 1900 or not!

Or hopefully 16 lower density chips. :P

It would be more expensive to manufacture different smaller chips just for the smaller sized SSD's. When they could produce millions and millions of the medium density for massive bulk discounts and just use less chips. This is what usually happens anyways.

It would be more expensive to manufacture different smaller chips just for the smaller sized SSD's. When they could produce millions and millions of the medium density for massive bulk discounts and just use less chips. This is what usually happens anyways.

True, I was just saying ideally that's what they'd do.

I know my 128 GB drives have fully populated Flash channels but they are slightly older.