1. 1. Anybody here a Wikipedian?

• I've contributed quite a bit
    • I've added a few things
    • Nope

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinions of Wikipedia at first were very negative. I found it hard to really trust anything you read there when the site was 1st launched. But, I will say that they have done a great job of trying to verify all info with sources now-a-days :thumbsup: Although, you still can't use it as a source for any papers in college, at least in my experience you can't. I can say that since the site began to now, it has came a long way with verified information!

I read alot of wikis...does that make me one?

I get bored and I just head there and read about rock bands from the day or people or whatever my mind leads me to...I have spent countless hours there reading stuff....

I read alot of wikis...does that make me one?

I get bored and I just head there and read about rock bands from the day or people or whatever my mind leads me to...I have spent countless hours there reading stuff....

Same here, so funny how you go there looking for info about something and an hour later you have been through many pages and are now looking at something that is very different from the 1st page you read!

Although, you still can't use it as a source for any papers in college, at least in my experience you can't.

The sources used by Wiki are usually quite good :thumbsup:

The sources used by Wiki are usually quite good :thumbsup:

Which is exactly what I said about how they verify info now vs. when the site was 1st launched. My point was that it still isn't accepted as a trusted source with most colleges or professors! At least I can't use Wikipedia as a source to write any of my papers!

None of my college professors have ever allowed Wikipedia as a source. :glare:

I've never contributed to a page, but I use it quite a bit to verify things or just for basic fact checking.

That's a good way to put it!

It'd be pretty useful for a couple of papers I have to write, but nope. Not allowed. Every professor is always like "and NO WIKIPEDIA!" as they start foaming at the mouth whenever they mention what sources to use.

Same here, so funny how you go there looking for info about something and an hour later you have been through many pages and are now looking at something that is very different from the 1st page you read!

:withstupid: done that so many times. the number of times i've been on there just to look up when the next ufc event is and whats the card, just to end up on a fighter who hasn't fought in the ufc ever or something similar.

like dr_bowtie i read about bands / albums mainly.

i've contributed once but it was only to undo vandalism. 2 years ago the NRL grand final was between Melbourne Storm and Paramatta Eels and someone had written all over the captain of the storm's page "Go Para! Go Para" about a hundred times. So i just undid the last change to the page.

I've never contributed a page or sentence, but Wikipedia is next to my Google button on my bookmarks toolbar. I also look up bands, members, albums, singles and track listings. Music nerd thing...