CM Hyper 212 and a Intel I3. Help me out?

Hello, I have several questions regarding the over-clocking of my Intel i3 550.

I just (today) received my CM Hyper 212 Plus. It is an outright incredible cooler over the stock Intel and I'm throughly pleased with it's cooling capabilities. Now I've been waiting to get a good cooler to run my I3 at 4.00/4.2Ghz (however high I can get away with). So, went into the BIOS an proceeded to change the CPU Base Frequency (160Mhz) to 200Mhz so I could run the CPU ratio at 20 and achieve 4.00 Ghz while keeping my RAM at 7-8-7-20 (stock 9-9-9-25) running at stock 1600Mhz; however, before I attempted this I tried it with the CPU at 3.2Ghz (16 ratio) and left everything else as I previously stated. The results were looking OK, I was achieving fine tempts from RealTemp and CPU-Z said my BUS was 200.50Mhz. It also stated the RAM was running at 4:16 FSB:DRAM ratio now instead of 4:20. So I continued monitoring and surfing the web on information about CPU Base Frequency, right up until the system suddenly lost power. It rebooted itself and I loaded the BIOS, it never mention a failed over-clock. I thought maybe it was simply a hiccup. This time I booted the system with the same settings, except with a CPU ratio of 20 (4.00Ghz) now. Well, the system booted up and right as it loaded my desktop, as I was going to open CPU-Z and RealTempt. *Beeeeewwwww...* it shut down, and much sooner than before.

Now I'm running the CPU Base Frequency at 200Mhz. Everything at stock speeds except for the RAM, which is running at 1200Mhz and a CAS of 6, underclocked. I've typed this topic, while running OCCT LinPack (auto) and it's been going for the past 40 min.

So tell me. What should I do so I can run at a CPU Base Frequency of 200Mhz W/ my CPU at 4Ghz (20 ratio), while maintaining my RAM at 1600Mhz 7-8-7-20? Also, I tested my RAM at those speeds and they're stable - 12hr Prime 95 (blender), over 30 runs of Intel Burn Test (Maximum), 12hr Memtest 86, and severals hours of OCCT CPU: LinPack and CPU: OCCT.

my BIOS Voltages:

CPU Voltage (V) AUTO

CPU VCore ~1.264

CPU VTT (V) AUTO

PCH 1.8 (V) AUTO

DRAM Voltage (V) 1.658 (I changed this to keep my RAM stable at the given settings)

_

_

_

_

PCH 1.05 (V) AUTO

GPU Voltage (V) AUTO

Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: My signature will give you my specs. however, I've made some changes since posting that sig. Changes are as follow:

HDD: Samsung F3 1TB

CPU Cooling: Of course, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus.

Edited by xxmastermushxx

You know changing the base clock for the cpu alters the spped of the ram right?

I have no specific knowledge on your setup, but 4GHz is really fast and could require voltages.

And if you are changing voltages its a bad idea to leave any of them on auto, since it may overvolt.

what kind of temps do you get on OCCT?

You know changing the base clock for the cpu alters the spped of the ram right?

I have no specific knowledge on your setup, but 4GHz is really fast and could require voltages.

And if you are changing voltages its a bad idea to leave any of them on auto, since it may overvolt.

what kind of temps do you get on OCCT?

Yes I know that it changes the speed of the RAM. That's why I said "while keeping my RAM at 7-8-7-20 (stock 9-9-9-25) running at stock 1600Mhz." By that I mean, when I change the BASE CLOCK the RAM speed increases. I want to keep it at 1600Mhz by running it at a ratio of 4, instead of 5. That way it's 4 x 200Mhz = 800Mhz (times 2) = 1600Mhz.

As I mentioned before "however, before I attempted this I tried it with the CPU at 3.2Ghz (16 ratio) and left everything else as I previously stated." So when it failed the first time, the CPU was not OC'd.

Depending on what I'm using in OCCT, I get around 35-45C. I've been running the fan at 1100 RPM vs 2000, so it's running a little hotter with LinPack - 50+C but never breaking 60C.

Edited by xxmastermushxx

I'm completely clueless when it comes to i3's but try raising the voltage to say 1.3v and trying for a more modest OC of 3.6ghz with memory slightly under stock rated speed. Stress test that for a bit and then move up to 3.8 then 4.0ghz and on until you're temp limited

I'm very technical and know my way around computers/BIOS. The only thing I need to know is what do the voltages do? I want to keep the BCLK stable at 200Mhz. Do I raise the VTT voltage? I've looked around online and get very mixed ideas of how I'm supposed to proceed in OCing the BCLK. That's really all I'm asking in my wall of words. :)

I could simply try different voltages and see what works; however, that worries me when I don't know what the voltages do.

By the way, the system boots and is stable enough at a 190Mhz BCLK to run 2 passes of Intel Burn Test (Maximum). Possibly more, but that's all I ran to see if it was stable enough to function. It's when I hit 200Mhz that it artifacts and shuts down for protection.

EDIT: I've found one! Here's a good guide for I3's and BCLK (LINK).

Edited by xxmastermushxx

yeah VTT should do it :thumbsup:

True enough, it is. I'm running at 1.290 volts (VTT) right now to keep it stable at 4Ghz. I've also got the CPU voltage at 1.216, according to CPU-Z. With my new cooler, running IBT (maximum), it's only hitting 48C tops. :) I'm still not done though. I'll let you know when I'm confident it's stable.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 wub.gif

Edited by xxmastermushxx

I know it's the 212+ the best little cooler for the money it can satisfy 90% of peoples needs, and do it for like 25% the cost of other coolers :lol:

Let me know what you end up with, save that OC profile when stable!

I know it's the 212+ the best little cooler for the money it can satisfy 90% of peoples needs, and do it for like 25% the cost of other coolers :lol:

Let me know what you end up with, save that OC profile when stable!

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I'm running the VTT at 1.360 Volts now, which is nearing its max. I've got the Vcore at 1.184, according to the BIOS, which is actually +0.129V. I think that value is added to the stock voltage which ends up around 1.184. I left the RAM at stock 1600Mhz (4 ratio), gave it a 1.651 voltage and left the QPI at 8800Mhz (AUTO).

I ran 9 hours of OCCT (Large data set, 64 bit, and hyperthreading) and finally stopped it. I had it set at 12 hours but I wanted to use the comp. and I thought 9 hours was sufficient. I was feeling pretty confident that I had achieved 9 hours stability; confident enough to change the RAM speeds.

I posted previously my last RAM settings when running 160 BCLK - RAM at 7-8-7-20 @1.658 V. I popped these settings back in. I didn't get one run out of IBT, it simply died. I tried lowering the timings - 8-8-8-20, didn't help. I tried a slightly higher voltage 1.666 didn't help. Now I'm pretty sure I need more volts, but my DDR3 RAM has a 1.65 V spec. I've looked online and some people say it's safe, other say it's not. My VTT is high enough that there's a 0.5V or less difference between it and the DRAM voltage. So do you think it would be OK to try up to 1.7V?

Is it safe to touch the RAM's heatsink while the computers running? Several people say if it's warmish you can increase more voltage, if it feels HOT, don't increase voltage...

Thanks

Edited by xxmastermushxx

What i know, you can actually incuce errors by overvolting the ram. to low voltage increases risk of refresh not keeping up, but increasing voltage might make them slower to shift from 1 to 0 (more charge stored up).

Also ram speed doesn't really help performance by much...

Noticed your QPI is at 8800... that is absolutely nuts BTW. Is there a option to bring it under 8000?? Anything over 8000 puts alot of stress on your northbridge as well as IMC of the i3. Id HIGHLY recommend bringing the QPI down before continuing with your OC as i believe this could be part of your stability issues.