Opinions and advice please. Phenom II x6 build

nube

Hi everyone this is my first build and I could use some advice. This is the parts list as of now. I need to add a card reader and power supply. How does this sound? What else will I need? Is this the best mother board? This comp will be used mostly for solidworks not a gaming pc. Also not sure on the case yet....Any help is much appreciated!!

AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1090T (3.2GHz) AM3, HDT90ZFBGRBOX (Black Edition)

Gigabyte Socket AM3/AMD 890GX/SATA3&USB3.0/A&V&GbE/ATX Motherboard GA-890GPA-UD3H

ATI FirePro V4800 1 GB DVI/2DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100-505606

Komputerbay 16GB (4 X 4GB) DDR3 DIMM (240 pin) 2000MHZ PC3-16000 16 GB KIT CL 9-10-9-28 with Heatspreader for extra Cooling

SATA3-BLACK - WD 1TB 64MB 7200rpm - Western Digital

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

Don't buy the motherboard!! It works horrible with the X6. Worst mistake of my build. :mfp:

Looks like your building a workstation? (Cad, photoshop, engineering)

Cooler master=great case buy. :biggrin:

Edited by Black6464

Don't buy the motherboard!! It works horrible with the X6. Worst mistake of my build

What makes you say this? I tested a Gigabyte GPA for quite a while using a 1090T and 1100T, both of which ran great and were a breeze to overclock. The VRM situation is very good and the board provides a very stable voltage, in fact its one of the best I've seen. I have absolutely no complaints about the 890GPA and for the price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better board. The 890FXA-GD65 is probably the only board I would recommend over the 890GPA in the same price range.

When I try to OC it always shows the wrong clock speeds and only lets me OC using the FSB muilti not the CPU muilti. Also I can't turn off cool'n'quiet or turbo core. I would stay far away from this mobo. :( I will go for ASUS on my next mobo.

Black6464, Yes sir this is definetly a workstation / whatever else I'd need it for haha. Thanks for the info on the motherboard, although your the first person so far to say they have had any troubles with it.

I noticed by the ATI FirePro V4800 you had in specs. Looks like a great build but the mobo (for me anyway) has had lots of problems with the 1090t. So I would recommend against it. I started a thread on here a while back but never got any of the problems worked out, just trying to save you the trouble i went though.

I'd also like to get some monitor opinions. Led Hdtv, larger than 20", maybe two? Like I said this is my first go around with this so dumb question but do I need a sound card?

I don't know to much about monitors to recommend any but resolution not screen size is the way to go.

As for the sound card

Ask your self

Do I listen to music in a good quality format on my PC? + Do I have speakers that cost more then 100$ dollars?

Do you consider your PC a HTPC?

Will l never Tri or Quad Crossfire/SLI?

If you answered yes to 1 or more of these questions then a sound card would be worth it.

I appreciate that, is there another mobo you suggest over that one?

Anything from ASUS. I have never had any problems with my last 3 ASUS boards. (I have not really had any other AM3 mobos yet but how much worse can it get? :dunno: )

Edited by Black6464

Where are you planning to purchase all of this OP?? I've never heard of that ram manufacturer

I may be able to recommend you some cheaper options for things (without sacrificing quality of course ;) )

When I try to OC it always shows the wrong clock speeds and only lets me OC using the FSB muilti not the CPU muilti. Also I can't turn off cool'n'quiet or turbo core. I would stay far away from this mobo. :( I will go for ASUS on my next mobo.

Are you on the newest bios??

So far everything I've been looking at is from amazon.

Also should I be looking at a sata 6 mobo? What is the advantage? As of right now the only mobo I see with that available is the asus republic of gamers? looks like that also has a built in sound card though so If I get that one I can forgo the seperate sound card yes?