flushing new radiator

aameghoo

I've never heard of it being necessary. Are you worried about the potential oils and whatnot that could be lingering from the manufacturing process? If you're really concerned, the best way would probably be soap and water.

Flushing a radiator is not needed. I have a thermaltake pw 850i kit and the instructions never mentioned flushing of the radiator. The whole liquid cooling system should be leak tested before use. To leak test I operated the system with plain water for about three hours before I drained and filled it with the cooling solution.

I thought that flushing a new radiator was always recommended. Mainly to clear out any flux residue that may still be inside of the rad. I know all that I did was fill up my kitchen sink, put a tube in the water -> pump -> rad -> back to sink and just let it run for like 5min, changed the water out, and repeated for another 5min. Then I just let it dry overnight.

I know that Thermochill on the PA series instructed flushing the rad before use, because of the flux!

as speedway said wouldn't there be flux residue and other fine particles still inside from manufacture? and I feel like it might be a bad idea to use the pump to push the water if there are big enough chunks that might lodge the pump, also my pump is a pump/reservoir combo

The rads are cleaned from the factory the only thing would be just a very small amount of dust that got in from shipping and being moved around. This amount is nothing to be concerned about.

If you want to flush a rad out go get some distilled water and just pour it in one side and let if come out the other free flowing, or put some water in, cover the ends and give it a little shake, poor out the water. Dont reuse the water as you will be putting the contaminates back into the rad.

The rads are cleaned from the factory the only thing would be just a very small amount of dust that got in from shipping and being moved around. This amount is nothing to be concerned about.

If you do some "googling" you can find quite a few pics of what comes out of a "New" radiator when they are flushed for the 1st time or even 5th time ;) When it comes to your new water cooling loop, better safe than sorry! I am also going to assume that if you call the company you got the rad from, they will also prob tell you it is a good idea to flush it before using it!

It is an extremely good idea to flush a new rad before use, and I strongly recommend this course of action to anyone! :thumbsup:

Boiling distilled water + radiator == no more flux after doing the radiator dance a few times (USE GLOVES). :)

Flux is nasty crap to get through your system.

I've been water-cooled for years and I always flush my radiators, blocks, etc..before the first use. I once used a Feser rad right out of the box because I was in a hurry, only to find small black particles floating in my Ek res while bleeding the system.

I have two short pieces of tube with barbs on one end that I hook to my rads, pour some distilled water into them, plug the tube ends,and then gently shake the radiator to ensure any loose particles float free. I then uncap the ends and drain the radiator. I do this for each part in my system. It only takes a few minutes to do and gives me the piece of mind that everything is nice and clean.

I flush all my rads too. A 50/50 mix of vinegar and hot tap water. Fill up the rad - shake vigorously - rinse repeat and then a 30 minute soak in the same solution.

Flow through gravity rinse with plain distilled water and then off to the races.