Cooler master V8 with 3 fans

rmo

I have a CoolerMaster V8 and wanted to improve the cooling capacity. I wanted to put three fans on the unit. I checked the web for advice. Others have suggested doing this but most people said it was impractical as there was no way to mount the two external fans. I did mount three fans on my unit am a pleased with its performance. It is an easy mod. I used threaded rod cut to length as tie rods to mount the fans. I decided to use three Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream PWM SY1225SL12H-P. I chose these because of the air flow of 24.5 to 110.31 CFM, a moderate fan noise of 7.5 ~ 37.0 dBA at 500 (+200) rpm - 1.900 ("10%) rpm. I also added a 120mm Chrome Metal Fan Guard between the left side fan and the V8 radiator fins to protect the exposed fan blades. I used an Akasa PWM Signal motherboard Cable #AK-CB002 to connect the three fans to the mobo CPU fan socket so that I did not have to add a separate fan controller. Additionally you will need some inexpensive hardware that is available at most hardware stores. For the tie rods I used 8-32 threaded rod I cut into four pieces of about 7.25 inches long. Originally I cut them longer but since then modified them to 7.25 inches. They could probably be slightly shorter. When cutting the threaded rod to length it is a good idea the spin on two regular sized nuts, position them on each side of where you want to cut the rod. The reason is that cutting the rod will deform the threads on the cut ends of the rod. Once cut to length spin off the nut and that will restore the deformed ends of the cut rod. If you don't do this it could be difficult to put good nuts onto the rods during final assembly. I used lock nuts on the rods. I also used washer between the fan housing and the lock nuts. I am not sure of what these washer are called as they were not a standard flat washer. These washers had a slight cupping to them and on one side was a piece of rubber on it that acted like a cushion. I am sure the regular flat washers would work fine; it’s just that when I went to my local hardware store for my supplies I found these washers and decided to try them. It is important to install the nuts onto the tie rods to the inside edge of the left side fan, as putting them on the outside edge makes the tie rods and nuts stick out to far beyond the fan so that the unit is to big or long to fit into the case, interfering with the rear case fan.

Taking the V8 apart: On the bottom of the center fan on the right side are two screws that go through a fan support on the V8 and into the bottom of the center fan. On the top of the V8 is the plastic cover piece that has the V8 symbol on it. It is held in place with four metric screws. Take these out with a small allen wrench. I think the allen wrench that came with the V8 fits these screws. Lift off the cover plate with the center fan attached to it. The center fan is attached to the cover plate with a pair of plastic clips on the underside of the cover plate. Spread the clips and the fan comes out. If I remember there might have been sticky double sided tape between the top of the fan and the underside of the cover plate. Any way separate the fan from the underside of the V8 covers plate.

I originally planed on drilling holes through the cover plate to insert the tie rods through but decided that was impractical as the holes would have to go through both the edge of the cover plate (no problem with that) but also through the plastic clips that hold the fan housing. That was the problem. Turns out that drilling was unnecessary as the tie rods on the top lay across the top of V8 cooling fins are a tight enough fit that the top of the fan does not require additional support.

It is not necessary to replace the top V8 cover plate once the mod is completed. I only did it as it seemed aesthetically more pleasing to look at. It might possibly help direct some of the fan air flow, but probably not by much. When replacing the top cover plate you have to change the original screws as the cover plate has to lay on top of the tie rods and the inside plastic top fan clips are not used. Consequently the cover plate is raised up by the amount of the diameter of the tie rods. I went out and purchase four metric replacement screws that were slightly longer than the original ones. The new screws were metric M3 x 16 or were it 18 by .5 pitch. I don't recall if the length was 16 or 18 as I bought four of each and used the one that's length was best.

Below are the links to the fan and cable specs:

This is a big unit when the mod is complete. I am using this in my HAF-x full tower case and there is enough room for it. When I had it in my Antec mid tower the space between the left side of the fan and the rear case fan was close, less than .5 inch. Tight but it did fit. When I had it in my mid tower I changed my rear case exhaust fan to a matching Scythe slip stream but a three pin that matched the three fans I put on the V8. I used a Scythe slipstream # SY1225SL12SH. This way the air flow out of the case matched the output from the V8.

I am running an I7-930 on a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with 6 Gb Ram. I have not over clocked it, just use the gigabyte utility to adjust the speed. My no load idle temps on the four course are 39, 36, 40, 33 with my GPU at 37 all Celsius.

The weight of the V8 is not a problem. The V8 with one center fan is 865 G. Each of the scythe fans is 121 g each for a total of 1107 g. The Noctua NH-D14 is 1240 g with the fans. The mounts on the V8 are very good and solid. I don't believe the rear case fan is impeding the air flow. It is a 140 x 25. I don't know the CFM of it. There is enough space behind the V8 for air to also go out the top with its 200 x 30 fan

post-76535-13012729782337_thumb.jpg

I'm not a fan of the V8 and never have been. But, looking at that pic, I would be concerned with the card in your 3rd pcie slot and how it is angled. That has to be putting preasure on that slot and the mobo!

That thing looks nuts. I am impressed.

As these guys said though the bottom card on your board is at a seriously messed up angle, I would try to fix that before you do more damage to the mobo and card.

2 things. (1) the 8v is junk, best of luck. (2) your video card is bending in half and i see the problem which is the 6pin cord is push the card up. i dunno why it's sticking through the plastic holder but its going to bust your card soon. find a why to rewire it.

Edited by hornybluecow

• 3 weeks later...

your video card is bending in half and i see the problem which is the 6pin cord is push the card up. i dunno why it's sticking through the plastic holder but its going to bust your card soon. find a why to rewire it.

+1 But I think this guy was a single poster with a very bent BFG graphics card.