First time building a machine!

tneux64

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tne - you have an amazing hardware spec. going here! congratulations :)

I'd wait to order the additional case fans until you actually receive the case and can measure the diameter/center points of the four mounting holes

Intel 2600K = sweet choice

Asus Sabretooth P67 = sweet choice

Video cards = twin GTX 580s (oh wow!)

Memory = g.skill is always my go to brand

Case = the phantom is a great case but El_Capitan and me both love our K62s

Power supply = I would really be looking at the Corsair AX1200 - but PC Power & Cooling make good psu's too (they are now owned by OCZ by the way................)

CPU Heatsink = for air cooling it's hard to beat the DH14

Of everything you've picked so far I'm pretty much in complete agreement except the SSD............... I would really be looking at an SSD that is SATA III to take advantage of EVERY improvement in the new Intel chipset.

The Corsair C300 would be a solid choice IMHO

Edited by wevsspot

Yeah I decided to go with the AX1200 and hold off on one of the two GTX 580s for the moment (unless the Army finally gets around to paying me for taking Arabic the past two semesters).

The K62 looks great but I'm pretty much sold on full tower for better airflow/easier installation/wire management. The idea of trying to get everything crammed into a mid-tower just right the first time around is a little scary... It leaves me plenty of room for a future water cooling solution as well, which I plan on doing at some point.

Would that extra ~100-150MB/s increase from going with a more expensive SATA III SSD be noticeable/worth it? I'm leaning towards yes, especially since holding off on that second GTX 580 will give me a little more cash to work with.

I also answered my own fan question, evidently NZXT makes their own 200mm model (that is only 193mm) that is the only one that fits.

tne - in the real world you're not going to notice much difference between an SSD that reads at 250Mb/s versus one that reads at 350Mb/s - assuming the access time are similar between the two.

The primary reason I recommended you consider a SATA III SSD is because the technology is there now on the Intel P67 chipset to support SATA III - so why not use it if the prices between the two drives are close to one another?

I guess I subscribe to the theory that if I'm going to pay for the latest technology, I'm going to use all of the latest technology I'm paying for :)

Plus - the Crucial C300 is a better drive than the Vertex 2 (just from my experience and IMHO).

Don't worry about foregoing the second GTX 580 right now. One of them will crush everything in it's path!

Would it be worth paying the extra $20 for a SATA 6.0GB/s HDD vs. a SATA 3.0 drive?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 (Samsung 32mb SATA 3 7200rpm 1TB)

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 (WD 64mb SATA 6 7200rpm 1TB)

Kinda scared by the fact that more than 1/10 people have had serious issues with the WD drive though..

One more question: would a 1200W power supply be fine with 2x GTX 590s?

Edited by tneux64

Would it be worth paying the extra $20 for a SATA 6.0GB/s HDD vs. a SATA 3.0 drive?

Not to me it wouldn't - but that's just IMHO

One more question: would a 1200W power supply be fine with 2x GTX 590s?

The AX1200 could power a small city if you wanted :) No problem there.

One more question:

Would I see a noticeable increase in performance with two 7200rpm HDDs in a RAID 0 array? Is it worth the risk of losing all my data if one drive fails? HDDs are cheap nowadays so it would only be a ~$60 addition. Chances are I would have most of my games installed on my HDDs seeing as how a 128GB SSD will fill up rather quickly.

You can get Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's (7200RPM) at Newegg for $54.99 and free shipping with promo code: EMCKGHA33

In RAID 0, you'll get faster sequential speeds, and as long as you back up your storage, it's worth the risk. My two Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's in RAID 0 are still going strong after more than a year (my sig has a CrystalDiskMark link to some speed comparisons).