AMD Phenom II preference

Phenom II Black Edition  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best bang for you buck?

• x6 1100T -229.99
    • x6 1090T -199.99
    • x4 975 -189.99
    • x4 970 -169.99
    • x4 965 -159.99
    • x4 955 -139.99
    • x2 565 -114.99
    • x2 560 -105.99

I currently have a GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443&Tpk=870

I plan on eventually getting a MSI 890FXA-GD70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

- Still hunting around, got a while before a final decision.

I'm looking for a processor now and I want to get a Phenom II. My concern now is what type to get.

My uses are for gaming and programming. I'll end up tampering with overclocking so my thought would be to lean toward an x6 so it can handle more,

but then again, I don't want to spend money on power that I'm not going to use, so my question is what would be the most practical processor for a good value.

As someone who's constructing a computer for the first time, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

i voted for 955...

since do really need hexa-core

and i can overclock myself so no quad-core higher than 955

955 is a quad core

did you mean you don't really need a hexicore?

I voted for the 1090T. I'm just kind of curious about why the only choices there are BE CPUs though, since that wasn't mentioned in the original post? If BE CPUs weren't the only choices I probably would have recommend the 1055T because it seems to me like you might be doing a lot of multitasking but not as much CPU intensive stuff, plus you said you didn't want to spend money on power you might not use but if you're going to overclock then it seems like you might be able to make up for any power you thought you weren't going to use.

• Like 1

I only included the BE because I've been told they're the only ones you can overclock.

I was originally looking at x4 965 since it's 160$, and decent enough power, but the more I look and having my desire for power kicking in, and x6 looks good.

Here's in more detail what I'm planning to do.

I'm a freshman working on a CS major.

I have experience working with and upgrading computers, but this is the first time I've built one from the ground up.

My final plan is to have a central PC to use as a storage, multimedia, gaming, and programming computer, so I'll be doing a lot of multitasking.

I want to be able to connect to it with my laptop and soon, a tablet or handheld. (Anyone heard of the new Toshiba tablet coming out?)

I want to be able to access files, etc, over the internet anywhere.

Next I want it to be a media access point. Right now I have it sharing music/movies/pics over my network connecting primarily to my 360 to stream media.

As most computer enthusiasts, I want to play games. Rift looks like a really cool game that I want to try. I love graphics and details so the higher end the better. I'm looking for a decent graphics card for that.

Lastly, as a degree and a career, I plan on programming and networking.

I have a final goal in mind right now, though I'm sure it will change.

For a decent case I'm looking at a CooleMaster 932, eventually watercooled

Power Supply: at least an 850w... I'm not sure why I'd need too much more, I'm not sure. I know it mostly depends on graphics card so I guess I'll find out when I find what graphics card I want.

Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

Graphics card: I'm not sure what one I want yet, but it'll be a while before I get one.

RAM: 16g

The BE means "Black Edition" which is basically AMDs way of saying the CPU multiplier has been unlocked for easier overclocking. You can still overclock chips which are not BE but you will have to do so via the FSB which is generally more complicated as it affects a whole host of settings other than just the CPU frequency (DRAM frequency etc). On a BE chip you can overclock using both methods but the cpu multiplier is certainly the most simplest way to do so.

Pure bang for the buck the 955 is hard to beat, it can easily run the clock up to 975 clock speeds and the entire quad line up overclocks to close to the same level in the end. The 1090T is a great chip and can with an effort can come close to the overclock of a 955 however the extra cores do not come into play often enough yet to make a difference.

With what it looks like you are planning if you can hold off I would to see what Bulldozer has to offer before I jump.

The 1055 or 955. Up to you but seeing as most people wont even need the x6 technology yet, I'd go with the 955.

Mainly cause I always build on a budget.

Edited by TOMisCHEEZE