New Build For Rift? Or Will This Be Good Enough?

akmirdock

Hi, I have been a long time browser of this site and decided to register and ask the experts opinions on this.. I pre-ordered and am getting ready for RIFT to release. I played the beta on my main pc. But, now my son wants to also play it on his pc... Now here lies the problem.. Here is the specs:

Cooler Master CM690 Case

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R 775 Motherboard

Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.3Ghz Per Core

4GB DDR2 1066 Memory

2X 74GB Raptor 10,000 RPM Hard Drives (RAID-0)

512MB Nvidia 9600GT Video Card

700Watt OCZ PSU

That's the basics. I was looking on newegg for an upgrade path.

I came up with an Athlon II X4 @ 3.1GHz Quad Core

4 or 8GB DDR3 1333 Ram (Just for Gaming)

768MB GTX 460 Video Card

I was going to keep his hard drives. It will only be used for this game, so no need to really replace them. My question is with this upgrade what would you suggest for a worthy upgrade? If anything? The game will be playing on a 22" 1680X1050 Resolution. He had no problems playing WoW with it, but looking at RIFT, it seems a little more hardcore, lol. Please help me! :)

Edited by akmirdock

Hi, I have been a long time browser of this site and decided to register and ask the experts opinions on this.. I pre-ordered and am getting ready for RIFT to release. I played the beta on my main pc. But, now my son wants to also play it on his pc... Now here lies the problem.. Here is the specs:

Cooler Master CM690 Case

4GB DDR2 1066 Memory

700Watt OCZ PSU

768MB GTX 460 Video Card

I was going to keep his hard drives. It will only be used for this game, so no need to really replace them. My question is with this upgrade what would you suggest for a worthy upgrade? If anything? The game will be playing on a 22" 1680X1050 Resolution. He had no problems playing WoW with it, but looking at RIFT, it seems a little more hardcore, lol. Please help me! :)

Not to be mean but I thought RIFT was the most pathetic thing ever... that said all you really need is a new video card. :) A GTX460 is probably fine for that game at reasonable settings, which reminds me I saw a post for one on here earlier! http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182346&pid=1890863&st=0entry1890863

Everyone has a preference on games -- this one just wasn't mine. :cheers:

Not to be mean but I thought RIFT was the most pathetic thing ever... that said all you really need is a new video card. :) A GTX460 is probably fine for that game at reasonable settings, which reminds me I saw a post for one on here earlier! http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182346&pid=1890863&st=0entry1890863

:withstupid:

Should get a GTX460. Probably the most noticeable upgrade there.

Cheers

Edited by eisbar

Cooler Master CM690 Case

4GB DDR2 1066 Memory

700Watt OCZ PSU

768MB GTX 460 Video Card

Spend the little extra for the 1 Gig model on the GTX 460, might want it down the road. For just gaming 4 gig should be plenty, though at current prices 8 gigs is sweet. (2x4) I would go ahea and get DDR3 1600 for the RAM as well, pricing is about the same. Get Kingston of Corsair and you should be set.

Ok, I did a little more research and I found a Gigabyte Motherboard - M68M-S2P. Its a micro board, but like I said my son doesn't need anything too crazy. I can re-use his DDR2 1066 Memory in it, as well as get an athlon II X4 AM3 chip. Would the performance be that dramatic going to a ddr3 board if he is just using it for RIFT? And thank you for the advice on the 1GB GTX card, from what I read about it should be worth the extra couple bucks! :)

AKM - I just wanted to stress what everyone else here is telling you. You've got a solid motherboard, cpu and memory. At most I'd only be considering a new gpu and maybe adding another 2-4Gb of memory.

If you just have to burn through some money you might throw in a GTX480 - but the GTX460 1Gb video card is more than enough.

Don't waste your money on anything else, because except for the gpu and possibly memory upgrade you aren't going to notice a huge improvement in performance. If you go with the GTX460 card make sure to spend the extra and get the 1Gb card.

Good choice friend. You'll both be impressed with the improved 3D performance :)

The decent o/c you've got on that e6600 will really help the GTX460 card spread it's wings...................

Edited by wevsspot