Wow...never thought this would happen!!!

Waco

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily assume you've damaged the CPU when you factor in a change of motherboard as well.

Different settings to achieve the same speeds is pretty common when switching mobo models no?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sounds right when moving from a DFI to a MSI or another board....

I guess I just didn't expect it, that's all. It's taking a lot more voltage (and consequently, more heat) to do the same job. A small difference wouldn't bother me...but 75 mV? That's a pretty big jump.

I actually sent DFI an email today to see if they'd send me an AM2+/AM3 board instead of a s775 board for my RMA. :lol: Screw paying out the nose for an old Core 2 Quad when I could be getting a Phenom II X4 or X6!

Edited by Waco

I guess I just didn't expect it, that's all. It's taking a lot more voltage (and consequently, more heat) to do the same job. A small difference wouldn't bother me...but 75 mV? That's a pretty big jump.

I actually sent DFI an email today to see if they'd send me an AM2+/AM3 board instead of a s775 board for my RMA. :lol: Screw paying out the nose for an old Core 2 Quad when I could be getting a Phenom II X4 or X6!

:thumbsup:

Yeah I still don't understand why 775s are still so overpriced, but I used that too my advantage. Made my upgrade to i7 only $100 :teehee:

Now push that Q6600 even harder, clearly you were too easy on your old board...

You Should be careful or your going to earn the Name. "overclocking cheerleader" :P

I think it got damaged a bit with the fire...it'll do 3.5 GHz but only with another 50 mV more than before. blush3.gif

Oh poo. sorry waco, I hope it will do the same respectable OC you had before.

It's running at the same speed...but the more I test it the more unstable it seems. I keep having to bump voltages further and further to ensure stability. I'm up 100 mV now to pass the same tests that I ran on the other board. Random other voltages (chipset, fsb term. voltage, etc) all need more to stay stable too. :glare:

I'm just hoping that DFI pulls through and sends me an AMD board instead. This Q6600 is HOOOOOT now. :lol:

Was there actually flames on it or did it just melt and smoke?

Flames - at least a couple inches off the board. I'm surprised my window didn't melt. :lol:

Edited by Waco

You Should be careful or your going to earn the Name. "overclocking cheerleader" :P

+1 to this

and to this... I am enjoying having my computer dominate his at the moment while his is kinda down. Sadly he still beats me on 3dmark even with his CPU being down clocked from what it was before and even with more juice in my GPUs!! lol. Oh well...