Cheap notebooks?

Locutus

So, my wife has been bugging me about getting her a new laptop. She really liked her old Aspire One, but we got rid of it because she never used it (the screen was too small and so was the keyboard.)

So, I'm shopping around for a new laptop to replace her current computer (which will become my backup while I go-about selling my current computer....which will fund a new computer...it's complicated.)

Anywho, I'm currently looking for a sub-300 dollar laptop, preferrably with 12" screen or bigger. DVD/CD drive doesn't matter...but I would prefer for it to have at least a 60GB HDD and it defnitely needs windows (XP Pro or better.) Looking at getting at least 2GB of RAM too.

Here's what I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200062

But I figured I'd ask you guys what you think of it, and if you can find me a similar (or better) laptop for a similar price (or less!) I know Mythos is good at this type of thing. :P

Thanks in advance!

they must have them in the us there all over here in canada . are you looking at the amd version? 4225 video card 250 gig hdd ?

maybe u could order from canada if you cant find it in the U.S.

this thing is perfict in my bedroom at night for movies and surfing.

i even tossed a few games on here

diablo 2

supreme commander

gona try a racing game soon.maybe need for speed.

I can watch 1080p videos on youtube but bluerays seem too much for this little guy.

You can get a lot of ULV laptops in that price range like mine. They can handle any basic usage you throw at it. Sadly most of them only have roughly 3-5 hr battery life and no dvd drive. However there are also full sized 14" + laptops around that price too with better hardware. Guess it depends if she wants something smaller or regular sized.

Here is a decent list of notebook processor and graphics card benchmarks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

I can watch 1080p videos on youtube but bluerays seem too much for this little guy.

My laptop is the opposite. It can play 720p and 1080p movies, but it will have fps lag on HD youtube and hulu.

Edited by Krazyxazn

W8 for fusion A-series (Llano APU)

Oh ., that wasn't even on my list of considerations. Thank you sir for bringing this to my attention.

The wife was concerned about being able to play her games (she loves L4D) and apparently those can run L4D2 at 25FPS (which is damn good for even a low-end GPU, let alone something like this which is practically integrated.)

So then, it appears we shall be waiting and watching. Those look very promising.

W8 for fusion A-series (Llano APU)

Im glad someone else suggested this!! Thats what i was going to say... HP currently has a model with the Fusion processors in it, and the higher end CPU/GPU combo as well, the E-350!! HP dm1 , i know its alittle higher than you mentioned on price before, but it seems like an awesome computer. I have a dm3z, i get approx 6 hours battery life on it(on a much less power efficient Neo K625, and switchable GPU from 4225 to HD 5430) I actually had some major issues with not one, but TWO of these dm3z's but holy crap, HP's customer support in the end turned out great, and did everything that was required to not only make it right, but make me happy.

My first dm3z was a 2nd gen Neo L335 dual-core, with HD 3200 integrated graphics and a 250gb HDD with 3gb of ram. By the end of the rather frustrating ordeal, i ended up with a 3rd gen AMD Neo K625 with 4GB ram, switchable GPU's 4225 and 5430, but also added a 500gb HDD, blue tooth, and an additional battery and power supply. Not only did the same customer service account manager stay with me between both exchanges but even called me twice afterwards to insure everything was alright in the end.

One way or another, HP landed on my list of manufacturer's to buy laptops from, its a short list, Asus and HP... lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...