What would you build for the first build?

Hello all,

I am a new member (obviously!) and have a minor dillema. I had intended to build my first computer utilizing an I7 950. Now that the new I7 2600K has come out for only a little bit more, I find myself thinking of switching gears.

What would you do? The cost of each system would be similar, and I am not a gamer, but I want to enjoy my first build and am not really concerned about a few dollars either way. Other than the processor performance are there any compelling reasons to stay with the 950 build such as future upgradability or other reasons?

I appreciate all opinions!

Thanks in advance!

welcome to occ !!!

i'll go for the i7 2600k and a good cooler for oc

a good asus o gigabyte mobo

4 gb 1600 mhz

1 gtx 570 or 2x amd 6850

128 gb ssd and 1 tb hdd

a good 750 w psu

and a good min 24'' monitor

i can write in spanish if you want :biggrin:

Edited by cery25

I was thinking between the Asus P8P67 Pro, AsRock P67 Extreme6, or Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 mobo.

And I was planning on a lesser gpu maybe, Radeon 5770, however prices are falling, so maybe upgrade?!

Still just toying with the SSD route, BTW can I load two different OS's on the same SSD? I am planning dual booting my existing XP install and Win 7.

I agree wholeheartedly with Cery's build EXCEPT, I'd get the 2500K since it seems to do just under the 2600K while being much cheaper.

The 6850 CF idea is probably the best deal for max performance today. (or you could get a 6950 and flash it to a 6970)

750W is the best size PSU to get, assuming that companies don't pull any more stunts like the 470s and 480s again, than things SHOULD be getting more efficient (the 2500K surely helps here too)

24" monitor, specifically with 1920x1200 max resolution

the cheapest kit of 1600mhz memory, because you'll see no difference in performance with overpriced memory and the bargain ones (which will most likely be made by a reputable name anyway)

As far as a better upgrade path is concerned, would I be better off with a 1366 build (I can get the I7 950 for $200) and then all I would need is a new processor at some point in the future; is the 1155 socket a dead end?

As far as a better upgrade path is concerned, would I be better off with a 1366 build (I can get the I7 950 for $200) and then all I would need is a new processor at some point in the future; is the 1155 socket a dead end?

Its a bit early to say but I am pretty sure the 1366 pin line is slowly dying off so if you want room to expand in the future I would probably be going for the 1155 pin socket. There will be the 2011 pin sockets coming out later this year though but I don't think you will want to wait that long..