First Time OC

My processor is really starting to make my pc slow :( (The glory days of single core processors are sadly gone) , anyways I'm wondering if I can overclock my processor, Idle temps is around 24 Degrees Celsius and the Motherboard is around 25 Degrees Celsius.

Never Attempted to over clock before so...

My processor is really starting to make my pc slow :( (The glory days of single core processors are sadly gone) , anyways I'm wondering if I can overclock my processor, Idle temps is around 24 Degrees Celsius and the Motherboard is around 25 Degrees Celsius.

When I was running that generation of processor, my limitation was the mobo I was using at the time but I managed to get 10 or so percent out of it. Not really sure what yours is capable of.

When I was running that generation of processor, my limitation was the mobo I was using at the time but I managed to get 10 or so percent out of it. Not really sure what yours is capable of.

Oops sorry for the double post. Damn NZ's lousy internet connections.

Edited by dihartnell

Go for it! Do you have money for a new 3 stage setup if need be?? (aka a more modern CPU, Motherboard and RAM trio)

If you do then you can really give that system all it's got, knowing that you can fallback on your upgrade and not be as conservative

<br>Go for it! Do you have money for a new 3 stage setup if need be?? (aka a more modern CPU, Motherboard and RAM trio)<br><br>If you do then you can really give that system all it's got, knowing that you can fallback on your upgrade and not be as conservative<br>
<br><br>I'm really waitin for Llano APU's to come out or Bulldozer as if the rumours are true it can be up to 50% faster than the fastest AMD Phenom II X6 1100T/Intel i7 950!

<div><br></div><div>Not really good to upgrade till then so...</div>

The next upgrade really is this month and it's 2 WD 640GB Caviar Black Sata 6 Gb/s 64mb in raid 1 and Windows 7 Professional, I remember when I used the beta and even on a single core 2.2Ghz processor it was lightning quick!

Might get an ATI Radeon HD 5770 or wait for an AMD Radeon HD 6770...

So how much could I squezze out of my current processor?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

If you want to make stuff faster, a SSD drive can be a good way to improve your PC performance. At least for me, it did wonders.

As for overclocking your CPU, I'm not convinced that you can get a very significant performance boost by doing that. But I might be wrong, I don't have experience of AMD chips of that generation.

If you want to make stuff faster, a SSD drive can be a good way to improve your PC performance. At least for me, it did wonders.

As for overclocking your CPU, I'm not convinced that you can get a very significant performance boost by doing that. But I might be wrong, I don't have experience of AMD chips of that generation.

Well any extra Mhz would be welcome...the main reason the pc is slow is because of Windows and all it's viruses and stuff really( it's 4-5 years old),

SSD drives are too small and a bit expensive...not looking for giant speed boost just what raid 1 can offer, mainly interested in upgrading to windows 7 (using Widnows Transfer thing) for a clean install.

Can an XFX HD 5770 run on a 450w PSU or should I just wait a while for the 6770?

Should be able to squeeze some extra power out of her. Are you just looking for a mild overclock, or do you want to push it as high as you possibly can?

<br>Should be able to squeeze some extra power out of her. Are you just looking for a mild overclock, or do you want to push it as high as you possibly can?<br>
<br><br>Oh mainly a a mild one...don't want to damage it

Cool % Quiet changes the spped from 2200.00 MHz to 1000.00MHz some times 1800.00MHz

Edited by Dan The Gamer