120mm Fan on NH-D14

saywhut

Hi there,

Ok, so my fan on my NH-D14 doesn't spin when I start my computer. I thought the fan was dead... So I decided to remove the panels on my front bay so that I could stick my hand in there and give the fan a spin. As soon as I did that, the fan started to spin. It needs like a start jump or something. This is very annoying since I have to do it every time I start my PC. Could it be that I need a new fan or that it could be something else?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Ok, so my fan on my NH-D14 doesn't spin when I start my computer. I thought the fan was dead... So I decided to remove the panels on my front bay so that I could stick my hand in there and give the fan a spin. As soon as I did that, the fan started to spin. It needs like a start jump or something. This is very annoying since I have to do it every time I start my PC. Could it be that I need a new fan or that it could be something else?

Thanks.

It might just be jammed or something. I can sometimes have this happen if I manually stop the fan on my fenrir. Maybe you could take the fan part off and take a look at the motor, see if anything looks out of place. That might not be a good idea though. I've never done it before and you might screw up the motor, although I doubt it.

Edited by TheHippi

That's odd, i guess maybe the bearings could be dirty? I'm not really sure how you could remedy that without just replacing it.

It doesn't sound like a huge problem that you can just flick it to start it but if it bugs you contact Noctua a buzz and see if they'd swap it out or maybe somebody else here knows a simple fix that I didn't think of because I'm slow today

It sounds like the fan isn't getting enough power, because that is what would occur. It would need a burst of juice to get started, then filter down to stable levels. Do you have it sharing a plug with the other fan? Might want to just run them directly off PSU, see if that starts it up. If not, then you have an issue with the fan itself. If it runs fine, then you aren't getting enough power through your motherboard.

I think all of you are making sense. I should probably note that when I first installed the NH-D14, It was giving me the same problem but then it went away and now it appears to have come back. Both fans are currently connected to the mobo and not the PSU. Perhaps connecting it directly to the PSU would solve my problem? I will give it a try.