Can You Mix & Match Gfx Cards?

This maybe a no brainer but i seriously want to be reassured i was curious if i own a bfg card could i buy an evga and still run sli on them both? Could i just overclock the 2nd card to match the other cards specs or do they have to be the same card?

So long as the two cards are the same, like two GTX 260s, then brand does not matter. If the stock clocks of the cards are different, then it should downclock the higher card to match the lower clocked card, though I may be remembering that wrong. But no, brand does not matter so long as the cards are the same model.

I know some cards with custom PCB's can't be combined with different PCBs. I know my old 4850 had that problem. I don't know if it's that way with all custom cards or just certain models though.

This maybe a no brainer but i seriously want to be reassured i was curious if i own a bfg card could i buy an evga and still run sli on them both? Could i just overclock the 2nd card to match the other cards specs or do they have to be the same card?

yes, that should work. you can view a working example here:

yeh, it's a real bummer in my situation. i have this idea in my mind to upgrade one of my standard HD 5970 2gb to HD 5970 4GB. is it worth the extra 2GB?

yeh, it's a real bummer in my situation. i have this idea in my mind to upgrade one of my standard HD 5970 2gb to HD 5970 4GB. is it worth the extra 2GB?

Well, you are interested in a multi-monitor setup, and the higher res that those run at is exactly what is affected by the 2GB vram loss. You could leave the 4GB 5970 in alone and run eyefinity and see what it looks like, and then try it with the xfired 2GB 5970 and see what the difference is. But, honestly the 4GB 5970 will play anything out so..... ;)