Running My First 3DMark Vantage Benching

amang

Hi guys,

I am trying to run my first 3DMark Vantage. I have got several questions to ask:

- When the program runs the 3rd test (I don't know the name of the test, it's basically a scene of a bunch of planes flying through rings of balloons), is it normal if you get choppy screens?

- I don't have an Nvidia card, do I have to worry about how to turn off Physx?

- When I hooked up two monitors to one of my 5970 card and ran the test, the whole tests were bogged down giving me a score of only P9000-ish (I expect around P30000+ as per my discussion with the store who sold me this rig). The problem goes away when I use only one monitor. What seems to be the problem here?

- Does 3DMark Vantage give a better score on Nvidia cards as opposed to ATI/AMD cards given that Nvidia cards have Physx technology?

Thanks for the answers in advance. :)

- When the program runs the 3rd test (I don't know the name of the test, it's basically a scene of a bunch of planes flying through rings of balloons), is it normal if you get choppy screens?

Yes it is . You only get a couple FPS

- I don't have an Nvidia card, do I have to worry about how to turn off Physx?

As far as I know , its automatically disabled but someone will have to confirm that for me

- Does 3DMark Vantage give a better score on Nvidia cards as opposed to ATI/AMD cards given that Nvidia cards have Physx technology?

Yes, if an nvidia card runs the test if inflates the cpu score thus increasing the overall score. Therefore in order to compete in HWBOT and in competitions , PhysX must be turned off

- When I hooked up two monitors to one of my 5970 card and ran the test, the whole tests were bogged down giving me a score of only P9000-ish (I expect around P30000+ as per my discussion with the store who sold me this rig). The problem goes away when I use only one monitor. What seems to be the problem here?

Does it run on both monitors ? Its more intensive if it runs on both since it has to power two monitor's FPS so your score will be less

Hope this helps

i never really saw a drop in performance when i was running my atis with dual screens.. it would bench on both but the drop was sorta minimal.. score would go from 27k to around 25k.. no big deal really, as its outputting the same image on 2 screens.. the image has already been rendered before being outputted i imagine.. so therefore its not like its actually doing twice the work..

@Nyt Ryda: no, 3dmark only shows the test video on the primary display.

anyways, i've done my first test round, just not sure if this is correct: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=157559&view=findpost&p=1878505

Out of curiosity: does your RAM play a big role in 3dmark vantage test?

Ram only plays a role in your cpu score but not a big score changer. Your ram is excellent anyway .

Just out of curiosity, why dont you benchmark 3D Mark 11 instead and post your score in our 3D Mark 11 thread ? It uses DX11 and is what lots of guys with good rigs are using to benchmark

thanks for the tips, i may try 3dmark11 tonight and see how it goes.

one final question: why do testers usually only run "Performance" mode test? What about "Extreme" mode?

thanks for the tips, i may try 3dmark11 tonight and see how it goes.

one final question: why do testers usually only run "Performance" mode test? What about "Extreme" mode?

The free version of 3d Mark vantage and 3d mark 11 only has the performance preset . Most people dont want to buy the advanced version with all the presets.