Overclocking era over ?

UT66

Keep in mind that the majority of computer users don't overclock... When businesses or governments get them, they stay stock.. Some of them have requirements, so there's still a need.

If a bid or system spec has been locked in place, then, until the part's no longer available, it stays (and even then, sometimes you have to stock up on a year's worth because you know something's getting discontinued).

Yea, I completely understand the biz/gov aspect, which is why I specified "end users" But there are many more end users, and we can just overclock to our hearts desire ;) The art of OCing will not die, it will probably just adapt :bow:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you all are making mountains out of mole hills. Power tune does not limit overclocking and neither does NVIDIAs monitoring hardware/software. It makes it so that the GPU does not run full speed if specific applications start. The difference between enabling and disabling PowerTune is minimal at best . In regards to Sandybridge you will have to wait. If all these motherboard previews don't answer your questions then you should just run your stuff at stock speeds. Why build these high end boards to run at stock speeds. Besides Socket 1366 is not going away for the time being so to answer the questions Overclocking is not dead. :cheers::thumbsup: !

I think you all are making mountains out of mole hills. Power tune does not limit overclocking and neither does NVIDIAs monitoring hardware/software. It makes it so that the GPU does not run full speed if specific applications start. The difference between enabling and disabling PowerTune is minimal at best . In regards to Sandybridge you will have to wait. If all these motherboard previews don't answer your questions then you should just run your stuff at stock speeds. Why build these high end boards to run at stock speeds. Besides Socket 1366 is not going away for the time being so to answer the questions Overclocking is not dead. :cheers::thumbsup: !

+1

The only app I have even heard the gpu manufacturers are using the limiter on is Furmark.

Edited by SpeedwayNative

Besides Socket 1366 is not going away for the time being so to answer the questions Overclocking is not dead. :cheers::thumbsup: !

Exactly. People are still sporting very decent Core2quads/duos and that what, four years old. 1336 will be around for a good many years yet.

1336 will be around for a good many years yet.

No, 1366 is EOL this year... 1156 is EOL this year... Both sockets are dead... When you buy these platforms now, you have limited your upgrade potential (if you like to have new CPUs). If you're content with keeping old products (e.g. used/cheap), then you'll be fine.

Yes, there will still be products available for them going into 2012 (because of support and manufacturing), but new CPUs won't be coming out, and neither will new motherboards after mid year.

** this year = 2011, sorry, jumping the gun here... I have different timelines and calendars I look at. But both sockets already have their replacements ready.

Edited by mcw

+1

The only app I have even heard the gpu manufacturers are using the limiter on is Furmark.

Kombuster and OCCT as well

No, 1366 is EOL this year... 1156 is EOL this year... Both sockets are dead... When you buy these platforms now, you have limited your upgrade potential (if you like to have new CPUs). If you're content with keeping old products (e.g. used/cheap), then you'll be fine.

Yes, there will still be products available for them going into 2012 (because of support and manufacturing), but new CPUs won't be coming out, and neither will new motherboards after mid year.

** this year = 2011, sorry, jumping the gun here... I have different timelines and calendars I look at. But both sockets already have their replacements ready.

All sockets are EOL when they are introduced its just a matter of how long a life they have.

Its far from over , these new implementations are to try prevent noobs from frying their chips and cards , the enthusiasts will bypass these features and the overclocking will continue. Nvidia's power limiter and AMD's powertune can be bypassed already and Sandybridge will have k chips with unlocked multipliers so overclocking will continue but the ammount of people oc'ing will decrease.

Actually I doubt the number of people who OC will decrease...with the more widely available K series chips (and at much lower prices) I think that we will see an increasing trend with people who want to overclock their multipliers.

It's already almost the same thing with most AMD CPUs... if you don't know what you're doing and OC the FSB you have a good chance of effing your HDD or god knows what else.

Kombuster and OCCT as well

All sockets are EOL when they are introduced its just a matter of how long a life they have.

True, but 775 has been around since P4 so I'd bet that a good number of people were expeting 1156/1366 to stick around for at least a few more years...

True, but 775 has been around since P4 so I'd bet that a good number of people were expeting 1156/1366 to stick around for at least a few more years...

There are always niche markets for the products... 1366 was always targeted towards "extreme" users, and was never a mainstream product. The 1156 was targeted towards mainstream and all other markets...

Since 2011 will be introduced before the end of the year (2011), the 1366 product discontinuance announcements and timelines are already known to people involved in the industry. Same thing with 1156...

2011 = high end (small market)

1155 = mainstream (largest market)... This will last more than two generations (unlike 1156)

Again, because of business timelines and platform longevity (generally 18-36 months), the products (motherboards) will still be in the market, however, support will slowly dwindle and new CPU models will not be made. For 775 - it had such a longer lifespan and larger deployments (especially in non NAMO markets) that there are still products and CPUs available for it, though a majority of them are also heading for EOL land soon. Keep in mind that the CPU and motherboard markets are based on demand, and despite the large OC communities, they don't make the majority of the sales...

i didnt say its dead. i say is dying. Its a trend. Power tune does not limit oc? Today that "might" be the case, but ultimately the door is wide open for " future implementations", even if OCn dsnt die, i dont like this new direction, ( limiting oc) also changing sockets like underwear is not my thing, it offers no real value to me, :mellow:

If they're releasing the 990X in Q1 2011 and presumably faster Gulftown Extreme Edition CPU's on the LGA 1366 socket in Q2 2011, the 1366 socket isn't dead, yet. The Sandy Bridge CPU's aren't even planned to overtake the Gulftown's in 2011 that I'm aware of. I'm sure they're planning on hexacore Sandy Bridge CPU's, but there's also been no mention of Sandy Bridge XEON's.

If they're releasing the 990X in Q1 2011 ...

but there's also been no mention of Sandy Bridge XEON's.

990X = 2nd to last 1366 processor.. Socket 2011 comes out Q3-Q4

"Sandy Bridge" XEON = Romley (Q3-Q4)

I believe both of the above are public knowledge (check Wikipedia)

Edited by mcw