Overclocking era over ?

UT66

Too bad only the 2600 series get Hyperthreading.

Yes, that's unfortunate :( Though the hyperthreading features are available within the actual core on the other models, they are disabled... I wish they didn't keep doing that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Afterburner / Overdrive / Precision etc for GPU's means it's always viable. [Not to mention that PowerTune just modifies the clocks dependent on temperature, watercooling block says hi :evilgrin: )As for Sandy, you have the unlocked series, so it's still viable. Not to mention the plethora of 1366 and 1156 boards out there which will be alive long after Sandy [especially 1366].My thoughts anyways...

The 1366 is also being replaced next year afaik.

Overclocking was mainly used for getting the most bang for your buck.Fore example: i7 950 costs $200 at MicroCenter. You can overclock it for 24/7 operations to match that of an i7 975 that costs $1k at Newegg.

You are right, but I'm here wondering why people would buy the 975, when the 980x is better and cheaper. :D

If performance at stock > performance of OC'ed chips now I don't care much. And the "K"'s have unlocked multipliers, so you can still OC....

But the k chips are more expensive so why not just buy the faster chip in the first place?

EDIT: I dont mean they should but unfortunately they do.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

The 1366 is also being replaced next year afaik.

You are right, but I'm here wondering why people would buy the 975, when the 980x is better and cheaper. :D

.... Ignore ....

What do you mean by ignore? Cause I can say when I got my 930, sure yea, I "wanted" a 975, but it made absolutely NO sense to spend $800 more on a chip that I could easily OC my 930 and get to the same 3.33GHz w/o even having to change my voltages! Then the 980x came out and I thought for sure that the 975 prices would drop, but look on the egg. The 4 core 975 is freaking $50 more than teh 6 core 980x. Which to me makes about as much sense as getting a 975 instead of a 930 ;)

But the k chips are more expensive so why not just buy the faster chip in the first place?

The price difference between the non-K and K chips are relatively insignificant... Looking around $20ish... An overclocked system now will probably still outperform the stock Sandy Bridge CPU (depending on how overclocked you are).. Keep in mind, the speed isn't really what's going to make the difference, it's all the enhancements that's been added to it.. Example - you're doing full disk encryption, or using a backup app that employs AES-based encryption.. You could overclock an i7-975 to whatever you wanted (make up a number), and the basic Sandy Bridge chip will still beat it (even with a single core active).

An i5-760 stock underperforms an i5-2400... But if you overclocked it (760), it'll beat the 2400 depending what you were running... And since your overclocking headroom is limited (due to the multiplier-only situation right now), that 760 would still run faster for benchmarks.

But, if you went to the 2500K (which, stock, will beat the 760), your 760 wouldn't have a chance since you could just turn up the multipliers... As long as thermal conditions are kept under control... And that 2500K isn't much.

The 4 core 975 is freaking $50 more than teh 6 core 980x. Which to me makes about as much sense as getting a 975 instead of a 930 ;)

I've been wondering about this too...it also seems illogical to me.

I looked at a side by side comparison on the intel site and it seems like the 980x beats the 975 in every place where it differs - and yet the 975 is more expensive :blink:

Is there some special technology that the 975 has that the 980x doesn't?

What do you mean by ignore?

...The 4 core 975 is freaking $50 more than teh 6 core 980x. Which to me makes about as much sense as getting a 975 instead of a 930 wink.gif

I had to remove something I wasn't allowed to mention yet (though I'll check to see if it's been made public knowledge, e.g. someone posting it on Wikipedia or something)

And for pricing - Intel will always do that - Extreme Edition chips have always started at $1k since their inception. The fact that the 975 is still that much (if you understand where I'm going with this, you'll figure it out)... I could only tell you that there's a reason that the 975 isn't dropping in price and that they are making sure you get the 980X instead... I can't really say anything else about that.

I had to remove something I wasn't allowed to mention yet (though I'll check to see if it's been made public knowledge, e.g. someone posting it on Wikipedia or something)

And for pricing - Intel will always do that - Extreme Edition chips have always started at $1k since their inception. The fact that the 975 is still that much (if you understand where I'm going with this, you'll figure it out)... I could only tell you that there's a reason that the 975 isn't dropping in price and that they are making sure you get the 980X instead... I can't really say anything else about that.

They could drop the 975 in half and no1 would get it still. Not very many end uses got it from the beginning of the i7 9xx release. I think that most people were smart enough to realize their $200-$300 cpu did the same exact thing, just with a locked multi. I know I would have been POed if I had pd $1k for a chip only to find out it didn't overclock any higher than a $200 chip ;)

They could drop the 975 in half and no1 would get it still.

Keep in mind that the majority of computer users don't overclock... When businesses or governments get them, they stay stock.. Some of them have requirements, so there's still a need.

If a bid or system spec has been locked in place, then, until the part's no longer available, it stays (and even then, sometimes you have to stock up on a year's worth because you know something's getting discontinued).