GTX580 or HD 6970??

MercuryDoun

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should i go with?

• The 6970 with performance near the GTX580 and cheaper to boot, but So loud it hurts?
    • The more expensive but higher performance GTX 580?
    • Or just sit back and wait to see what the GTX595/HD6990 have to offer.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or buy 2 580s and ur set for the next decade lol

Lol, it'll end up being like 7800gx2 sli in a couple years. Who still even has 7800gx2 sli ? Nearly nobody... Thats my point .

The only other factor to consider though when going for new technology is that other system parts will need to be changed in order to fully support the new technology. For example, next gen card dx12, os dx12, pcie x32, games? I seem to count about 2 video card releases per os. New tech gives full support but higher cost, and old tech is cheaper with less support.

With they way AMD and Nvidia are releasing gpu's I'd say there are going to be quite a few gpu gen releases with Windows 7. Heck when you think about it, Win7 is almost like a hugely profitable (Fing Microsoft) list of hotfixes (as well as a few new features) for Vista and all the people who complained about it! So really there have already been 3-4 generations of gpu release from each manufacturer for the OS this time around and we will prob see at least a couple more!

Games, that is a whole differnet story! They have always lagged behind the DX technology that gpu's have come out with! There still aren't even a huge number of DX11 titles out, and ATI released the 5870 in Sept of 09' AND, most of those titles still support DX10! I'm sure I can get IVI on here talking about how he feels on this subject ;)

Talking about new PCIe lanes, now that gets me excited! But, how far are we away from that? PCIe 3.0 was supposed to be released in late 2009, and has been pushed back many times! Should see it beg of next year, and I am very anxious to see it. But, even PCIe 3.0 is going to be backwards compatible with Gen 1 and Gen 2 cards, so all of the 2.1x16 cards out right now will still work in the new 3.0 mobo's. Guess we will see how soon in 2011 this happens though!

still dont see the point of more lanes when we havent even been able to use all the lanes of x16.. and the proofs in the fact that x8 and x16 differences r so minimal that theres no point even debating it..

You are talking about x16 and x8 lanes on PCIe 2.0 board, and you are exactly right. With PCIe 3.0, the difference I'm talking about is the bit rate transfer and bandwidth! PCIe 3.0 is supposed to double the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0! But hey if you don't think there is going to be a difference, then you should just go back to PCIe 1.0, which had half the bandwidth that 2.0 now has ;)

i did have to.. and i made most my gtx 480 furmark scores on it..

it makes minimal difference.. so it wouldnt bother me going back.. its gonna be like .1% slower than it is now.. big whoop

:pfp:

What mobo that had PCIe 1.0 did you have that you were running a GTX 480 on? Jeez matt, r u even serious with the above post? So you are saying the PCIe 1.0 is only .1% slower than PCIe 2.0? I'm guessing math isn't your strong subject ;)

Edited by SpeedwayNative

maths was my strongest subject scoring myself a 49/50 in my exams.. and yes i was serious about that and the mobo was some gigabyte nvidia chipset from the 60s i think lol

it had a 630nforce chipset i think.. x16 pcie 1 hahahah i scored 12508 in furmark with it and gpu score of 20k on vantage with overclocking.. so no.. the slots dont make much of a difference and it has been proven in many reviews..

u gotta remember that the current stand x8 is the old pcie x16.. so its like someone going x8 x16 slots.. and they are minimal atm.. our vid cards arent powerful enough yet to really push the boundries of the x16

maths was my strongest subject scoring myself a 49/50 in my exams.. and yes i was serious about that and the mobo was some gigabyte nvidia chipset from the 60s i think lol

it had a 630nforce chipset i think.. x16 pcie 1 hahahah i scored 12508 in furmark with it and gpu score of 20k on vantage with overclocking.. so no.. the slots dont make much of a difference and it has been proven in many reviews..

u gotta remember that the current stand x8 is the old pcie x16.. so its like someone going x8 x16 slots.. and they are minimal atm.. our vid cards arent powerful enough yet to really push the boundries of the x16

Just curious, what are you thinking the results would be with 2 cards in Xfire/SLI on a PCIe 1.0 board? The same .1%? lol Also, did you happen to take any SS of these score with cpuz open and on the mainboard tab? You just had your 480 not long ago, how can you not remember the board?

Edited by SpeedwayNative

actually i was running my old 5850s in xfire on x8 config... they scored highest on furmark too hahah go check out the score, and in the duel they came very close to 5970 running same freqs 850/1200 hahahah

What board????

My main point here is when it comes to multi-card setups, you are going to see noticable increases! More bandwidth is going to shine on a Xfire/SLI setup. Single card, not so much. But, how popular are 2 card setups today, very! Old school Furmark graph, shows some pretty big differences in CFX when going from 1.0 to 2.0!

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/furmark_1920.jpg

Edited by SpeedwayNative