Looking for a good camera

My_Inner_Fred

Hey guys, I'm looking for a camera that has good picture quality, decent zoom, and low shutter lag. I'm going to be taking the camera with me everywhere I go so it has to be portable. I'am aware of the Mega pixel scheme manufacturers use so I'm not looking for the camera with the highest mega pixel.

720p HD recording would be nice if it was included on the camera but it isn't a must. I've been looking on NewEgg and I've found a few that I'm considering to buy. I'll be using the camera to take high quality pictures of clouds, landscape, textures, etc. The images will be used in photoshop as stock photos when I'm working on projects and such.

My price limit is around $250 but I can make a few exceptions if the camera is a steal.

Items I'm considering:

Canon PowerShot SX210

Canon PowerShot S95 <--- I know this is over my price limit but it looks real nice

Canon PowerShot SD1400

Sony DSC-T99

Nikon Coolpix S8100

Panasonic DMC-ZS7K <--- Over my price limit but I like it

Suggestions please! Thanks in advance!

You could get the Lumix ZS5 for exactly $250 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673680-REG/Panasonic_DMC_ZS5K_LUMIX_DMC_ZS5_Digital_Camera.html

I just bought one and love it :thumbsup:

the only difference between it and the ZS7 is screen size and I think hdmi out (which weren't important to me)

I could take some pictures with it if you'd like

You could get the Lumix ZS5 for exactly $250 http://www.bhphotovi...tal_Camera.html

I just bought one and love it  thumbsup3.gif

the only difference between it and the ZS7 is screen size and I think hdmi out (which weren't important to me)

I could take some pictures with it if you'd like

I'd love some pictures, Hdmi output isn't required for me so thats not a problem.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

I've been looking at cameras lately too, although I'm intending to get a DSLR to get into photography as a hobby; I've found a ton of useful information on www.kenrockwell.com. The best recommendation I'm finding on his site in your price range is the Canon SX210, which was on your list. What are you using it for? This particular camera has great zoom, but doesn't track motion well. Are you taking pictures of sports/etc, or friends who are posing for a picture?

Also, just a tid bit of information to add since you're focusing heavily on shutter lag: almost no cameras have perceivable shutter lag, although most people believe they do. Every modern camera uses two phases to take a picture -- pressing the button half way causes auto focus to happen (which people interpret as shutter lag). Expensive cameras will auto focus faster due to faster processors/etc. Once it is auto focused, almost every camera will instantly take the picture (i.e. less than 30ms).

Hope this helps.

I'd love some pictures, Hdmi output is required for me so thats not a problem.

Name what kinda shots you'd like

I can try and get something like Shadow threw up if you want (but have to wait til tomorrow for the outdoor one)

Here's the indoor one:

I couldn't find a way to get a similar shot of Shadows (how'd you do that one?) I just got a close up of my VMU lol

p1000364m.jpg