Looking for a good camera

My_Inner_Fred

this camera has a macro mode so i just did that, looks pretty neat.

Yeah I think yours wins for the close up shot, I tried to mimic it and could not (even with my close up macro).

I'm a little jealous :lol: (and yours looked like it was relatively low light too)

I forgot to get a shot outside but I'll try and remember tomorrow

I've been looking at cameras lately too, although I'm intending to get a DSLR to get into photography as a hobby; I've found a ton of useful information on www.kenrockwell.com. The best recommendation I'm finding on his site in your price range is the Canon SX210, which was on your list. What are you using it for? This particular camera has great zoom, but doesn't track motion well. Are you taking pictures of sports/etc, or friends who are posing for a picture?

Also, just a tid bit of information to add since you're focusing heavily on shutter lag: almost no cameras have perceivable shutter lag, although most people believe they do. Every modern camera uses two phases to take a picture -- pressing the button half way causes auto focus to happen (which people interpret as shutter lag). Expensive cameras will auto focus faster due to faster processors/etc. Once it is auto focused, almost every camera will instantly take the picture (i.e. less than 30ms).

Hope this helps.

I will be taking pictures of sports and such, so I'd like it I could find a camera that tracks motion very well while still having good image quality. Having a great zoom is also a biggy for me I want to be able to get close up shots of birds, fast moving cars, and such.

About the shutter lag, is there a way to minimize the amount of time it takes for the auto focus to process? Is there a way to remove auto focus, and if there is will it cause the image to come out bad?

I'll take a look at that website in just a second.

Sorry for the late replies, my Motherboard went out on my not to long ago and I just sent it for a RMA. I'm currently borrowing a laptop.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

I will be taking pictures of sports and such, so I'd like it I could find a camera that tracks motion very well while still having good image quality. Having a great zoom is also a biggy for me I want to be able to get close up shots of birds, fast moving cars, and such.

About the shutter lag, is there a way to minimize the amount of time it takes for the auto focus to process? Is there a way to remove auto focus, and if there is will it cause the image to come out bad?

Sounds like someone wants a DSLR. Thats a mighty ambitious wish-list for a p&s.

I'll take a look at that website in just a second.

Sorry for the late replies, my Motherboard went out on my not to long ago and I just sent it for a RMA. I'm currently borrowing a laptop.

I have to agree with SpeedCrazy. To get the best of all worlds, you're going to want to dish out for a DSLR so you can change lenses. Although if your definition of "fast" auto focus, and "good" image quality and "great" zoom is different from mine, you may be able to find a point in shoot which does the job for you.

After much research the best entry level DSLR, in my opinion, is the Nikon d3100 which will run you $650 for the body + one lens.

But for the investment a DSLR has much better expandability/value. In my opinion DSLRs have more bang for the buck.

But not everyone needs the power and flexibility of a DSLR. I know I would have a hard time justifying the cost of just a superzoom, let alone a DSLR. I guess it just it just depends on what you need and how much you're willing to spend.

Yea I know I'm am very ambitious lol... a DSLR is a tab bit expensive thou... I want something I can carry around easily too so thats why I was looking at point and shoots.

Then you probably don't want to get a superzoom either. They're just a big as a DSLR with a single big lens. An s8100 or something similar is probably your best bet.

Edited by TheHippi