The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Avinexis

Wow, the Steam servers must be being hammered, I've got a 50Mbps connection and I'm downloading @ 75-100KB/s :P

EDIT:

I've only got 2.8% so far, but there is a DirectX 10 folder in the program files! :cheers:

I was afraid it would only be Dx9.

EDIT 2:

It look like the usual DirectX redistributable in that folder...

Edited by 90sgamer

Bethesda has said that DX11 makes an appearance in Skyrim, just it is not used very heavily. It could be included now to be added in later via an update, or to simply prepare for the next game using the new Creation Engine.

Interesting. I wasn't sure if there was an official line on the Direct X version. Cool. Well, I finished downloading it. The Skyrim folder in steam/steamapps/common is 5.71GBs. The Voices.bsa file alone is 1.35GBs. Textures.bsa is 1.29GBs and Meshes.bsa is 1.41GBs. Sounds.bsa is 909MBs. The rest is spread across smaller files. I really hope that Bethesda has some compression magic up there sleeves because my (unmodded) oblivion folder is just 420MBs less at 5.29GBs :blink:

EDIT:

That is with Shivering Isles installed though, so maybe that makes up more of the difference.

Edited by 90sgamer

Interesting. I wasn't sure if there was an official line on the Direct X version. Cool. Well, I finished downloading it. The Skyrim folder in steam/steamapps/common is 5.71GBs. The Voices.bsa file alone is 1.35GBs. Textures.bsa is 1.29GBs and Meshes.bsa is 1.41GBs. Sounds.bsa is 909MBs. The rest is spread across smaller files. I really hope that Bethesda has some compression magic up there sleeves because my (unmodded) oblivion folder is just 420MBs less at 5.29GBs :blink:

EDIT:

That is with Shivering Isles installed though, so maybe that makes up more of the difference.

My Morrowind folder is sitting on 14.5GBs thats due to very heavy modding especially on the graphical side with mods for Morrowinf, Tamriel, Bloodmoon, Imperial Knights and other asorted mods I have made and collected.

Oblivion at 5.5GBs shivering isles installed and some light mods, no texture or graphical modes, never liked it as much as Morrowind.

If Skyrim releases will smaller textures than oblivion I will be unhappy.

My Morrowind folder is sitting on 14.5GBs thats due to very heavy modding especially on the graphical side with mods for Morrowinf, Tamriel, Bloodmoon, Imperial Knights and other asorted mods I have made and collected.

Oblivion at 5.5GBs shivering isles installed and some light mods, no texture or graphical modes, never liked it as much as Morrowind.

Morrowind was my favorite too. I used to have a TON of mods installed too, but I found I like the nostalgia factor of the original visuals better.

I doubt Skyrim will have smaller textures than oblivion, but I'm afraid it might not live up to what it could have been because of the console centered development. Look at the differences of of games released 5 years ago like Gears of War/Rainbow Six Vegas, and those today MW3, Mass Effect 2 & 3. Notice any real advances in technology?

Now let this sink in.... 5 years was also the time between the releases of Doom 1 (1993) and Half-life (1998). Huge leaps in technology were made back then, but with consoles being the main development platform, game tech has stagnated. :down:

But its really just a fact of life at this point. Consoles are far cheaper and easier for people to get into gaming with, so its more profitable to build games for consoles primarily.

I think Bethesda knows its PC fanbase is a very large compared to some other companies (mainly because of the huge modding community), and would put more effort into making a good port compared to some other devs. We'll see how it all goes down on Friday!! :)

*I apologize in advance for starting any platform wars and/or thread hi-jacking* :blush:

Edited by 90sgamer

EDIT:

Well if you think about it, what more is there to a game when you remove the sound, the textures and the models? They're all the space-takers. Get rid of them and all you have is scripting which tells X texture to get on Y model which makes Z sound when λ action is performed :P

Don't worry about the size. Just worry about what the actual content comes to in the end.

Morrowind was my favorite too. I used to have a TON of mods installed too, but I found I like the nostalgia factor of the original visuals better.

I doubt Skyrim will have smaller textures than oblivion, but I'm afraid it might not live up to what it could have been because of the console centered development. Look at the differences of of games released 5 years ago like Gears of War/Rainbow Six Vegas, and those today MW3, Mass Effect 2 & 3. Notice any real advances in technology?

Now let this sink in.... 5 years was also the time between the releases of Doom 1 (1993) and Half-life (1998). Huge leaps in technology were made back then, but with consoles being the main development platform, game tech has stagnated. :down:

*I apologize in advance for starting any platform wars and/or thread hi-jacking* :blush:

I know but considering I played Oblivion with a controller anyway I don't think it will be to bad at least it isn't an FPS game I hate playing with a controller then. But Skyrim should be a fun to just cruze along using the triggers and bumpers to attack and quick scroll spells/weapons.

Doom 4 is coming out on the new ID Tech 5 engine now I have played Doom 1 but I guess it would be interesting to play again. Just to see what 20 years, in pretty much the forerunner of quite a lot of the advancements, in the field of game engines and development can do. Cannot wait till ID Tech 6 is here and ID Tech 5 has barely even peaked.

Would be nice to think that TES VI might come out on ID Tech 6, I mean Bethseda an ID teamed up for Rage.

All of these hopes and my pre-load for TES V hasn't finished yet :lol:

Damn. I wasn't really a fan of Morrowind. I did play it after I played Oblivion though, so I think I was tainted. Lol. But my Oblivion folder is 10.36GBs. I like to mod and that's why I play TES on PC. I just don't like the limitations of the console versions.

To all of you that have Skyrim pre-loaded, I am not a fan. Lol. I have to wait for my physical copy from GS :angry: . But I'm getting the LE so I think it's worth it. :)

Well may as well say it here

Massive shout out and thanks to El_Capitan really have to say thank you again for gifting me Skyrim :cheers:

I forgot to put my pre-order in until it was too late and everywhere I was going to be able to buy it was $90 and up but luckily won the wonderful prize of $59.99 to spend in the steam US store from Capitan.

So I know your pain Lord_Guy I was possibly looking at waiting a few weeks up until yesterday :biggrin:

I think I used to have like 30 plus mods going on both Morrowind and Oblivion. Back then you had to kind of juggle the mods to make sure you didnt have any incompatability problems.

The more gigs the better in my book. 5.5gigs does seem kind of light to me but I think Dannrick is probably right about end content.

Edit: Content

Looks like I can DL now too on direct2Drive, I should have checked yesterday, oh well. DL 1.2mbs constant Yeehaa.

Edited by Kwok