Help overclocking Q9550

Owenisbad

I got my new mobo (asus p5q deluxe) a few weeks back and i'm trying to overclock for the first time.

I managed to get to 3.2Ghz with these settings:

FSB Frequency: 377

FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-905Mhz

DRAM CLK Skews: All Auto

DRAM Timing Control: 5-5-5-15

CPU Voltage: 1.200v

CPU GTL Voltages: All Auto

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

DRAM Voltage: 1.90v

NB Voltage: Auto

NB GTL Reference: Auto

If I try and go any higher then it won't boot, any advice?

Is that 800MHz rated memory?

If it is, it might need more voltage. On the other hand, you could crank up your CPU voltage as well by quite a bit. 1.3V is perfectly safe. DRAM voltage depends on your RAM though.

Oh right, If your sig is correct in saying that you have your RAM running at 905 MHz, you have some weird divider being used. Try to change your memory divider to the smallest possible (perhaps 1:1).

Edited by Flibo

Is that 800MHz rated memory?

If it is, it might need more voltage. On the other hand, you could crank up your CPU voltage as well by quite a bit. 1.3V is perfectly safe. DRAM voltage depends on your RAM though.

Oh right, If your sig is correct in saying that you have your RAM running at 905 MHz, you have some weird divider being used. Try to change your memory divider to the smallest possible (perhaps 1:1).

Ok I set the divider to 1:1 and took the cpu voltage up to 1.3v and it booted up first time at 3.4ghz

I will try and take it a little higher now, thanks :)

Ok I've managed to get to 3.6ghz with the ram at 850mhz at 1.3v and 2v but any more than that and it won't boot.

Any suggestions for getting higher? should I change any of the other settings from auto?

Ok I've managed to get to 3.6ghz with the ram at 850mhz at 1.3v and 2v but any more than that and it won't boot.

Any suggestions for getting higher? should I change any of the other settings from auto?

The problem can simply be too little juice for the CPU. I need 1,37V for 3,4GHz on my Q9300 (that is 457 MHz FSB). I think Intel recommends anything under 1,36V for continuous usage. Be sure though that your CPU won't go too hot. With your cooler it shouldn't though.

It's always a good idea to have all settings on manual. I'm not exactly sure what's a safe NB voltage, and even less what is it on auto, but you could try tweaking it (I have 1,46V, but I think that's a bit high). Try adding CPU voltage first. A good rule in general is that you tweak one setting at a time to see what's limiting your overclock. That way you don't have too much voltage on something.

My 800MHz memory requires 2,14V on 914MHz to operate, just for reference. 2,14V can be deadly high for some memory though so be cautious after the 2V mark.

Edited by Flibo

Here are some settings for 3.8 I took off another forum;

Settings for Q9550 for 3.8ghz - Might not be possbile on every motherboard (all motherboards overclock differently). CPU should be capable.

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual

CPU Ratio Setting : 8.5

FSB Frequency : 448

PCIE Frequency: 100

FSB Strap to North Bridge : Auto

DRAM Frequency: Auto, this will be set to 896Mhz (or change to the mhz of your memory)

DRAM Timing Control: Auto (adjust to your timings of your memory)

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto

Dram Read Training : Auto

MEM OC Charger : Auto

Ai Clock Twister : Auto

Ai Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : Set what you need, this will range from 1.20-1.4v

CPU GTL Reference: Auto

CPU PLL Voltage : 1.6

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30-1.40 (try 1.3, and if its not stable, raise it)

DRAM Voltage : 2.1-2.2

NB Voltage : 1.2-1.5v (quads are alot harder than dual cores to clock, the NB voltage helps with the higher FSB on quad)

PCIE Sata Voltage: Auto

Load Line Calabration : Enabled

CPU Sread Spectrum : Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

CPU Clock Skew: Auto

MB Clock Skew: Auto

Here are some settings for 3.8 I took off another forum;

Settings for Q9550 for 3.8ghz - Might not be possbile on every motherboard (all motherboards overclock differently). CPU should be capable.

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual

CPU Ratio Setting : 8.5

FSB Frequency : 448

PCIE Frequency: 100

FSB Strap to North Bridge : Auto

DRAM Frequency: Auto, this will be set to 896Mhz (or change to the mhz of your memory)

DRAM Timing Control: Auto (adjust to your timings of your memory)

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto

Dram Read Training : Auto

MEM OC Charger : Auto

Ai Clock Twister : Auto

Ai Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : Set what you need, this will range from 1.20-1.4v

CPU GTL Reference: Auto

CPU PLL Voltage : 1.6

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30-1.40 (try 1.3, and if its not stable, raise it)

DRAM Voltage : 2.1-2.2

NB Voltage : 1.2-1.5v (quads are alot harder than dual cores to clock, the NB voltage helps with the higher FSB on quad)

PCIE Sata Voltage: Auto

Load Line Calabration : Enabled

CPU Sread Spectrum : Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

CPU Clock Skew: Auto

MB Clock Skew: Auto

Thanks man, just managed to get to 3.8 stable on these settings :)

might try and get to 4 now...