first attempt at water cooling

Ive been looking at water cooled systems lately and decided dang those look good, so im going to try it, this january, i need to know a place where i can buy all the hardware at one place all at once, and im open to suggestions, its the pc in my signature, ive already decided on a triple 120mm rad, as it will fit in the top of my case perfect. i want simple, but i dont want cheap stuff, more like good quality at good prices

anyone?

ive been looking at ocz phase change cooler the cryo-z does anyone know if this unit is reliable enough for 24/7 operation, and what kind of temps i can expect from it. something about sup zero temps sound reeeaaally good to me!

anyone?

ive been looking at ocz phase change cooler the cryo-z does anyone know if this unit is reliable enough for 24/7 operation, and what kind of temps i can expect from it. something about sup zero temps sound reeeaaally good to me!

for everything phase change ask "the smith" here at occ...

If you can find a Cryo Z they had some issues early in development but if you can find one for sale retail you may well have to travel to pick it up. Liquid cooling is fairly easy to do but requires some diligence when choosing components and during assembly.

I use a D5 pump, with a Swiftech MCR320 radiator and Swiftech GTZ block with a t- line and fill port for one rig

D5 pump, MCR 220 and Black Ice GTX 240 rads, Swiftech Micro res and a GTZ block on rig 2

D5 pump ,Thermochill rad , GTZ block and a t line for rig 3 and the wifes rig has a CYberpowerPC modded XSPC setup with this res pump combo here

Its all how much you want to spend and what you really are willing to put into it. Are there better parts than what I have chosen to use? Yep there are but the cost goes up exponentially for the reward gained. 25 bucks for an additional 2 degrees C off my load temps is not worth it for a better block IMHO but ........

Hope that gives you some insight.

im looking to spend 400, but frozen cpu has a ocz cryo, and i guess alot of water cooling parts, but i dont like the website, or navigating it, so i probably wont buy anything there unless its the phase change, im getting addicted to ocing!

Edited by camaro_dude15

I did not know anything about liquid cooling pc's so I opted for a thermaltake kit. Perhaps take a look at http://www.swiftnets.com for parts or kits.

Phase change technology is what is in air conditioners and refrigerators. When used to cool desktop pc's the units have a cooling capacity similar to a car(cooler) being hit by a bug(heat) on a highway. A far greater overclock of the cpu is a guarantee. I binged "phase change cooling computer" and seen an external phase change unit about 16"x8"x9" for about $800 at www.crazypc.com.

Just thinking about the complexity of the technology I'm thinking the ability to cool north bridge, or vga chips is next to impossible. I don't think the demand for the unit is high enough for manufacturers to develop complete cooling systems.

Edited by sticknstone

Camero,

I buy the majority of my w/c parts from Jab-Tech;

http://www.jab-tech.com/

They may not have as extensive offering as FrozenCPU - Dangerden etc. but their service is outstanding and shipping is fast...... and I mean fast.

What components do you plan on water cooling? The answer to that question will have a direct impact on the pump and radiator that you choose.

If you want a fairly robust system here is one to consider;

Pump - Swiftech MCP655 with speed controller = 79.99

Reservoir - XSPC Dual Bay 5.25 for D5 = 49.99

Radiator - Black Ice GTX 240 or Swiftech MCR-220 = 50.00 to 90.00 depending on which one you choose

CPU Block - I'll let someone running a similar AMD platform recommend, but I like Swiftech Apogee XT, Heatkiller and EK blocks = figure 70.00 for the block and another 10.00 for the AMD hold down kit if needed

Tubing - Tygon, ClearFlex or Primochill - pricing here varies a lot - tubing is usually sold by the foot and to be safe you should order between 10 and 12 ft in case you make mistakes - so budget 25.00 for tubing

Total cost = 325.00 worst case

Edited by wevsspot

Hey camaro

I am new to overclocking and cooling but I did find a review for the OCZ Cry-Z phase change cooler - I don't know if it's to any use but I'll just post it here in case

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1321/ocz_cryo_z_phase_change_cooler_tested/index.html

Cheers Brutality (trying to help without knowledge :P)

great review, i cant beileve its quieter than the stock cooler thats amazing, but ive decided against it, its just too extreme for me, as for the water cooling i just want to cool the cpu, for now, then a couple of gpus when i get better ones, i know for sure i want a 360 mmx 120mm rad, because it will fit in the top of my cooler master case nicely.