Rift: Planes of Telara

Dariuas

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If WoW and everquest had a baby you would probably get this game

I heard about rift a long time ago when production started because of a relative who loves everquest

I prefer cutesy so this is not my cup of tea for sure

one thing I will say is that this year has been the worst ever in the history of MMO releases

I dont know too much about cataclysm but that is the last stand for this year not being a total waste

in my opinion, a game being released in the current times should have good graphics.

Aion uses the original cryengine which was used in Far cry, they did not even bother to use the newer engine in crysis which is already years old now

so if a game being released today, especially for PC, does not even meet this standard, let alone surpass it, houston probably already knows there is a problem

When I look at Rift the first thing that pops into my mind is Age of Connan

then I check to see how much space is on the bookshelf

lets hope there's something hidden that's more than meets the eye in this game

hopefully there will be some interesting raid content but I am just speculating

Aion uses the original cryengine which was used in Far cry, they did not even bother to use the newer engine in crysis which is already years old now

so if a game being released today, especially for PC, does not even meet this standard, let alone surpass it, houston probably already knows there is a problem

The engine the game uses as it's base has *very* little effect on the actual game - this judgement makes no sense.

You seem to forget that there are more casual MMORPG gamers than hardcore MMORPG gamers. Both the casual and hardcore MMORPG gamers are playing on 3+ year old Dells. You go into games like WoW, Warhammer, Guild Wars, Aion, and etc. You ask them what games do you play, I will bet you 70% will say just that game. You ask them do any of them have a gaming rig and you will get only 20-30% saying yes.

Graphics isn't a buying factor, its more of a bonus/perk for people who have gaming rigs for other games. Most MMORPG gamers just play that single game.

Edited by Krazyxazn

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about if you think a game engine doesnt matter

you are probably just assuming it is only responsible for projectile physics, however, that is not the case

a game engine includes rendering, or in words you can understand, "the hot graphics" and the tools needed to create them

yes, alot of people who have MMOs game on old computers

especially people who live in south america

but I think you are missing the real issue

most people want to play something new

however there is absolutely nothing new in the past two years that is not total crap

so why would they spend 1000$ for a new gaming computer if there is no game to play?

they won't (unless they are an OCC member)

when a game with good graphics and is fun to play you will see a shift in new computer sales

now that I think about it, dragon age origins had decent sales, but that is not an MMO

Beta Event 2 - Guardians of the Vigil!

RIFT™ BETA EVENT #2 TO START DECEMBER 17TH

Featuring the first 20 levels of play, Rift’s second closed beta event “Guardians of the Vigil” is scheduled to start at 10am PST Friday, December 17th and run through Monday, December 20th at 10am PST.

About “Guardians of the Vigil”:

Players will be reborn as Ascended souls of the Vigil, prophesized to put an end to the tyrant Aedraxis and his plan to sacrifice the world to Regulos. Save the forest of Silverwood from the war between fiery minions of chaos and the corrupted followers of the elven prince Hylas. Venture into the Realm of the Fae to break the hold that Greenscale’s lieutenant Lord Twyl has over the ancient home of the elves.

“Guardians of the Vigil” will be localized for English, French and German speaking territories.

To register for beta go to www.RIFTgame.com/betasignup

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about if you think a game engine doesnt matter

you are probably just assuming it is only responsible for projectile physics, however, that is not the case

a game engine includes rendering, or in words you can understand, "the hot graphics" and the tools needed to create them

Actually graphics has very little effect on my enjoyment of an MMO,

I still play on a classic emulated Everquest server because I like the game play and the world.

Would it be nice to have a new EQ that is exactly the same as classic Everquest but with modern graphics? Hell ya!

Is it required for me to enjoy the game and keep playing? No.

"Uber graphics" is just a nice perk and one that few can enjoy.