MSI Hawk GTX 460 Overclocking bonus/tweak

Satire

Interesting, I wonder what's the highest my friend's Gigabyte could take (further volt modded). His runs 50C load with 1.087v, and it's super quiet. If that was my card I'd be throwing tons of volts onto it

Yeah, I was stressing my gpu under furmark with +100 mV and it wouldn't go past 61c (thanks to the twin frozr 2 cooler) so I thought damn, there has to be a way to get more without flashing the bios. It seemed like a big waste considering Fermi temp limit is 104c...

What clocks is your friend getting with @ 1.087 V?

Edited by Satire

Yeah, I was stressing my gpu under furmark with +100 mV and it wouldn't go past 61c (thanks to the twin frozr 2 cooler) so I thought damn, there has to be a way to get more without flashing the bios. It seemed like a big waste considering Fermi temp limit is 104c...

What clocks is your friend getting with @ 1.087 V?

Only like 880/1760/2100, my cousin's Palit got the same but only got 2040mhz on the memory (I blame the fact that Palit didn't put memory coolers on the lower end Sonic)

I bought 4 ASUS GTX 460's and 1 of the 4 did this:

furmarksingle46010051.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really wanted to be able to bump the voltage more since I never even hit 70c. When I get some time, I will check this work-around out! Very interested to see the results!

Benchmarking at low resolution isn't really a good way to find out if a card is stable. Try running 3D Mark Vantage at Performance preset and see how that goes, if you have no crashes/artifacts at all then you've got a real jewel there. I found 3DMV more reliable rather than Furmark at windowed 1920 * 1080 / MSAA Samples: 8X for stressing the gpu to get artifacts out.

but hey, if it really works in all your games, it works. I've never seen something like that before... amazing OC

As for trying this work-around, well that's only possible with the 460 hawk atm but what you can do is flash your bios. You can request here for your bios to be flashed, keep in mind this will void your warranty.

Edited by Satire

I've found only different REAL games can test stability, Furmark and MSI Kombuster let alot of my instability slide, I then played New Vegas and crashed like crazy. Also the Call of Pripyat benchmark wouldn't even run until my clocks were stable.

Yeah that's why I don't use those anymore. Give 3D Mark Vantage a try, so far when that ran fine with no artifacts, it was fine in every other game.

Ya 3DMV was decent, but still let some through. I remember my GTX260 ran great on EVERYTHING (even crysis ZOMG)....but failed in C&C 3 Tiberium Wars :lol: . Nothing truly tests stability like playing the field :thumbsup: