Broke my computer

So i just ordered a new CPU and Heatsink, the Phenom 9600 and Hyper 212 Plus to be exact, and decide to try some overclocking for the first time. Now my computer is broke. :(

I got the CPU in today, just finished setting up my computer with the new stuff a couple hours ago, about an hour ago I turned it on and it booted up fine, all the into windows and everything. I restart, go into the bios, and change the clock from 200 to 220, go into windows, start running Prime95, get about 20 minutes into it and the computer shuts down. I start it up, go into the bios and set the clock back to 200 and try to go into windows but this time it doesn't do it, it gets about half way into loading up windows and turns off. I've tried to start it up again quite a few time now, using the stock clock of 200 and various others, including the 220 I had it working at before, same result each time. Does anyone know what I've done or how to fix?

clear CMOS, just remove the battery on the mobo and pop it back it.

This.

Also - I assume you were monitoring temperatures of your board, CPU, etc when you did this? Did any of them get to dangerous levels?

Okay I just cleared the CMOS and now I don't even get video.

Yes, I was monitoring my temps, I was mostly watching the CPU temp though, so I can't say for sure what any of them were when it shut down other than the CPU, which was at 51c.

Switch to the old CPU you had and see if the PC boots. That should pinpoint the problem, or at the very least you'll know what it's not.

Well tried that, same thing, no video. Can't say I'm surprised either, it only started doing it after I cleared the CMOS.

Well tried that, same thing, no video. Can't say I'm surprised either, it only started doing it after I cleared the CMOS.

any crazy voltages?? on the newest bios??

lulz at the 450W Hercules, that made my night

So i just ordered a new CPU and Heatsink, the Phenom 9600 and Hyper 212 Plus to be exact, and decide to try some overclocking for the first time. Now my computer is broke. :(

I got the CPU in today, just finished setting up my computer with the new stuff a couple hours ago, about an hour ago I turned it on and it booted up fine, all the into windows and everything. I restart, go into the bios, and change the clock from 200 to 220, go into windows, start running Prime95, get about 20 minutes into it and the computer shuts down. I start it up, go into the bios and set the clock back to 200 and try to go into windows but this time it doesn't do it, it gets about half way into loading up windows and turns off. I've tried to start it up again quite a few time now, using the stock clock of 200 and various others, including the 220 I had it working at before, same result each time. Does anyone know what I've done or how to fix?

does the motherboard have onboard graphics if so try running video from there

Okay, well after freaking out, which basically includes all the posts I made above. I finally settled down a little bit and starting working my way through the parts, doing some troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that my motherboard had gone bad. Luckily I did have another one to use. The new 9600 cpu still works fine in this other motherboard, and everything else works fine with it, didn't have any trouble with the hard drives at all. Basically I got it fixed though, as to what happened with other board, my guess is that I damaged it when I cleared the cmos because I was stupidly working on it while on a carpeted floor.

Well anyway, I really appreciate the help still. Now I'm off to hunt down drivers. :lol: