Upgrading Gaming Computer

Brutality

You might get a dust build up w/o the side panel so make sure you dust it out often .

I'd go with 1600mhz if its supported , anything over that will not offer much more performance.

Please check this table out , there are many different P5Q motherboards and each support a different range of ram frequencies. Do you not know the model motherboard ? If you could take a pic then I could try find out. You must not get ram that your motherboard doesnt support .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might get a dust build up w/o the side panel so make sure you dust it out often .

I'd go with 1600mhz if its supported , anything over that will not offer much more performance.

Please check this table out , there are many different P5Q motherboards and each support a different range of ram frequencies. Do you not know the model motherboard ? If you could take a pic then I could try find out. You must not get ram that your motherboard doesnt support .

No mate the problem is just that I'm at my parents' house, and I won't be home before Sunday, so when I get home I'll just check the box and see if it's supported etc. :P

Thanks alot man, I may return when I get to the OC'ing part :D

Cheers Brutality =)

EDIT:

d'oh :(

btw is 4GB enough or should I get 8GB ram?

xD

Edited by Brutality

Aight, so I'll get a Noctua NH-D14 and 2x Kingston HyperX 1066MHz module today or tomorrow :P

How do you clean your computer for dust btw?

I normally use a vaccuum cleaner and hold it REALLY tight and just hover it above, and be really careful not to hurt the hardware heh. Now, I bet there are safer and better ways...

Cheers Brutality

Should I use CoreTemp or RealTemp or MBM5?

PS. I am following the guide here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=155400

Actually, do you know if there are any of these I don't need, and which to pick in case of 2 options?

6. Download and burn any stability testing programs or benchmarks, as well as, temperature measuring programs. My recommendations are:

* Prime95: Multiple Threaded Version 25.6

* OCCT: http://www.ocbase.co...ex.php?Download

* 3DMark05: Posted Image

* 3DMark06: Posted Image

* 3DMark Vantage: Posted Image

* Coretemp: Posted Image

* Realtemp: Posted Image

* MBM5: http://www.thetechre...thread.php?t=74

* CPUz: Posted Image

* GPUz: Posted Image

* Everest Home Edition: http://oldversion.co...p?n=everesthome or (for newer): Posted Image

Also: too many options when looking at motherboard drivers :S

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Motherboard => Socket775 => P5Q => Windows 7 64bit

Could you help me find those I need? I got on the feeling there are some I don't need

EDIT:

What can you use to wipe dust off? Paper Towel, toilet paper, dish/kitchen cloth, microfibre cloth(?), tea towel/cloth or dish/kitchen towel etc.?

(used dictionary to attempt to translate lol)

My vaccuum cleaner doesn't have a blow function and it fails to suck up all dust...

EDT2:

Do I really need a PS/2 keyboard? I've only got a USB (nor do I have a USB->PS/2 converter thingy) keyboard (Logitech G15) It works in BIOS, but I don't know about memtest86

Edited by Brutality

Just to clarify: I am not only asking Nyt Ryda (I would use the messenger system in that case) anyone are allowed to help me

1090 views cmon just this last set of questions, I already got my parts and is starting to dismount MoBo from chassis to replace the cooler and DIMMs

Thanks in advance - Brutality

For stability test , I would use Prime 95 for the cpu along with Core Temp to monitor the temps .

If it passes a lot of time of Prime 95 then just check a game or 3DMark06 to see the gaming stability to see if you get any BSOD's or crashes.

Im not sure on the other questions though, someone else will have to help on those.

I failed >_<

I forgot to tighten the thumb-screws on the Noctua NH-D14 before I applied thermail paste and put the cooler on... That means I need to remove the cooler again, and then tighten the thumb screws...

Now the thermal paste has squished out on the cpu and the cooler, should I remove the thermal paste (both places) and apply new on the cpu and then put it on again?

I do have enough TIM

I failed >_<

I forgot to tighten the thumb-screws on the Noctua NH-D14 before I applied thermail paste and put the cooler on... That means I need to remove the cooler again, and then tighten the thumb screws...

Now the thermal paste has squished out on the cpu and the cooler, should I remove the thermal paste (both places) and apply new on the cpu and then put it on again?

I do have enough TIM

Clean it off and start again. If it squished out the sides you put too much tim on.