Arctic Silver 5

rein

I just switched my case and lapped my heatsink to drop my temps. Im looking to lose about 5c. Now Ive read the instructions on the arctic silver site on the break in period, but its not very clear on what to do. Should I keep my pc at its normal clock or should I leave it overclocked etc.

If anyone could tell me how to breakk it in it'd be a great help.

thanks

I too have no idea but i dont think a couple of degrees will affect the "cooking time" of the paste or the way it'll behave afterwards. :unsure:

Edited by kobalt

Invader, is your chip unlocked?

It's good to know that you should leave it at stock speeds, but does it really matter.

Oh yeah, don't forget to shut your computer off for a few hours at a time durring the break in period

Edited by BeatRyder

Invader, is your chip unlocked?

It's good to know that you should leave it at stock speeds, but does it really matter.

Oh yeah, don't forget to shut your computer off for a few hours at a time durring the break in period

his chip must be unlocked if he is using a 12 multi. stock is 11 or 11.5 i think.

It doesnt matter whenever you even turn the computer on or not. Once it starts to bond to the heatsink/CPU die it just needs time to cure (turn into a thin goo). Once the right consistency is made (about 3 days) your temps will drop as its transfering heat better. Sometimes after a while, it will over-cure, and your temps will go up. (Months)

AS5 takes about 200 hours to reach its final consistency and function at maximum efficiency, during this time it needs to be kept running, but also needs to be allowed every once and a while to fully cool down. Or you could just use ur computer however u want and itll eventually get tehre

im sorry but i havnt any time to read the previos post's ( my keyboard is akting up) but i got artic silver 5 and i didnt even read the instructions all i did is aplly an even coat over my amd cpu (2500+) after i installed my new mother board and started up my comp and i set my front side bus to 200 fsb (stock 166) and ran sandra for abnout 1 and a half hours and it seamed to do fine but i havnt let it cool down since. ive had my comp on for about 12 days straight but my temps went up from 38c (idle) to about (39-41) idle im not shure if it is doo to the temp in my bed room (it go's up and down) or if its doo to me not letting it cool down (the as5) and set but my 2500+ @ 3200+ (200 fsb 11 multi) but it was doing fine (37 idle with window open to out side (15 f out side) im sorry if this post is a little wacked and seems like im crazy, im just a little under the influence and very much wanting to go to bed,(2:30 a.m.) but i got to get my key board working befoar i do. once again if this post seemds a little wierd im sorry.

( the key board im typinng on is like 5 years old and the one im trying to get to work is a new logitech ( system wont detect it (usb) it was working fine about an hour ago wen i put my 2600+ back in and started up but i dony know.;

Edited by clay31

Actually the AS5 instrustions say that its best if you let your computer got thru several thremal cycles

And I

On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

Sweeeet :D I just finished putting my rig back together and everythings OK. After lapping the heatsink and changing to an antec case and psu I got a 4c drop on the cpu and 6-7c on my mobo. Hopefully after the arctic silver break in ill get another degree or two. If worst comes to worst ill have to buy a small a/c unit for the summer. he he

now to overclock the 9600xt...