Heatsink compound

danieljury3

Since I don't have enough money to buy a better heatsink and because I'd probably need to buy some thermal compound even if I could buy a heatsink, I was wondering if replacing the stuff that came pre-applied to my stock heatsink for my Athlon II X4 620 would allow me to shed a couple of degrees. I'm at 3.0 Ghz and my tempatures are about 45oC idle and 70oC under load and yes I know they're rather high but PCSX2 demands it (maybe I should clean the mountain of dust off it. I also want to know how many applications I can get as the quantitys availible range from 3 to 30 grams and I'm currently looking at getting Arctic MX-3 (4 grams if that's enough for a couple of applications).

What about Tuniq TX-2, TX-3, or TX-4?

All very good TIM's. But, also Shin Etsu G751 and the better Shin Etsu X23-7783D are very solid also. I actually switched from the Tuniq TX line to the X23-7783D, a little easier on the application!

All very good TIM's. But, also Shin Etsu G751 and the better Shin Etsu X23-7783D are very solid also. I actually switched from the Tuniq TX line to the X23-7783D, a little easier on the application!

Yeah, but with those two you don't get that much in the tube for the money you spend. At least they were the last I looked, it could have changed lately to be a better value. I just don't think its worth it to spend 10-15 bucks on a TIM when you may only get a few uses out of it.

Yeah, but with those two you don't get that much in the tube for the money you spend. At least they were the last I looked, it could have changed lately to be a better value. I just don't think its worth it to spend 10-15 bucks on a TIM when you may only get a few uses out of it.

To me a few extra bucks is worth a better product! Again the Tuniq TX line is a very good TIM that I used for awhile. But I think the 7783D has been proven to show lower temps in a few different reviews, and w/o a doubt in my current system when I switched! I got mine from Fry's on sale for $6.99 / 0.5g, reg $7.99 :)

Thanks for all the suggestions but there isn't all that much in the way of variety in New Zealand so it seems that MX-3 is the best I'll be able to get.

I did end up finding an interesting video though.